TheBanyanTree: Flapping....

Sachet sachet at alltel.net
Sun Oct 29 15:48:07 PST 2006

It used to puzzle me when I saw children with autism flap their hands
and arms like little birds.

But now I "get" it. And it makes me smile.

There is a wonderful book called "The Heart's Language" by Lois-Ann
Yamanaka. It offers a unique and endearing peek into the world of one
child with autism and once you read it, you can't help but understand
just a little bit better.

Russ is one of the children I tutor each week. He's three years old and
we call him Little Bear. Partly because he has a bear of a temper and we
are working on the challenge he has with transitions. But mostly because
when we are doing a work session, as soon as I smile, clap and
enthusiastically say "Good Job!" he launches himself onto my lap and we
hug as he burrows in close like a little baby bear. When I was first
placed on his team I had to find many and varied ways to be a positive
reinforcement for Russ. That's the underlying essence of ABA.  So one
day an idea came to mind and it's become a special thing we do during
work sessions. I call it "quiet tickle - loud tickle". First, I lightly
run my fingers all over his back, neck and head, gently tickling as we
snuggle close and I whisper "quiet tickle" into his ear. Now that he
knows what to expect his little body will quiver with excitement as he
waits for me to yell "loud tickle" and tickle him in earnest. He bursts
into giggles and wiggles around caught up in the immediate happiness of
the moment. For the first time this past week he manded (verbally
requested) each part of our game - by himself - all four words..... in
correct succession!! Russ has very limited language and only
independently mands a handful of words. Therefore, I was very surprised
and  tee-totally delighted. After the first time I whispered "quiet
tickle" and paused like I usually do to build the suspense, he all of a
sudden yelled out "Loud tickle!". Then after I paused again, he actually
whispered "Quiet tickle".  Some times life is just so incredibly perfect
in a moment that flash freezes in time.

This past Thursday our center held a Fall Festival for the children and
their families after work. We had seven teams of three people on each
team responsible for organizing a booth with a unique theme. My team
decided to do tactile/visual stuff. We had clear water bottles and
little bowls of shiny colorful confetti in leaf, pumpkin and acorn
shapes, along with glitter and food coloring, which we helped them add
to each bottle to create "Magic Potion". (We tightly glued shut each
bottle as a precaution once they were done.)  We also had three plastic
pumpkins, each one filled with a tactile substance that we thought the
kids would enjoy touching. There was the cold squishy delight of bright
orange jello, the fascinating fun of "Ooze" and also warm soapy water
with lots of bubbles to help clean up messy hands in a fun way. And we
had one teeny tiny little pumpkin with baking soda in the bottom, on top
of which we poured vinegar. It causes such a cool and rewarding bubbling
fizzy reaction that always leaves any child in awe. Russ was totally and
completely fascinated. I ended up using the entire bottle of vinegar
just for him because he kept running around the pumpkin, laughing and
yelling "Again!" while flapping his arms in that special way he has that
signifies boundless joy.

There is still so very much to learn and some days I feel like I will
never know enough to be the kind of tutor I want to be and I feel
discouraged. But then all I have to do is watch Russ running around
flapping his arms like a little baby bird, laughing with such pure joy....

...Sachet