TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 37

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Oct 24 07:01:17 PDT 2006

October 23, 20000006

Dear ests,

	I've gotten a list from my lawyer of
things that villainman says were missing from the
house when he moved his things out last Monday
night and Tuesday.  He was incensed of course and
wants me to go to the storage unit and fetch them
right away.  These are things like a CD, a
painting, a glass bowl, tiny glass cups he hand
blew himself when I'd given him glass blowing
lessons.  All these things wound up in storage,
somehow.  The movers messed up and took some
things that should have been left behind.
Everything that went to storage is stored in
vaults, and I pay per vault per month.  There
were 450 boxes!  Four hundred fifty boxes.  What
are the chances that I'm going to go back to the
vaults, pay them the fifty clams they require to
open up the vault for me, and go through 450
boxes to find him a CD, a painting, a glass bowl,
a few glass cups?  I told my lawyer that
villainman left abruptly nearly three years ago,
never came back to collect so much as a pair of
pants, and has done nicely without any of these
things for all that time.  He can wait a while
longer.  The lawyer wrote a letter to the
opposing lawyer and worded it rather succinctly.
It ought to stick.

	Stick this.

                              ¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼

Getting Melvin's Attention

	Melvin had hated his name, he told me,
until he found out from his mother that he was
named after the very famous actor, Melvyn
Douglas.  I saw Melvyn Douglas in, "Being There",
Peter Sellers' last movie.  He played the wealthy
and powerful man who advised the President on
important matters.  He had the President's ear,
as they say.  Melvin was telling this to me in
front of his mother who interrupted him and
corrected his memory.

	"No, Melvin.  You weren't named after the
very famous actor, Melvyn Douglas.  If we'd named
you after Melvyn Douglas, we would have spelled
your name with a "y" like Melvyn Douglas spells
it.  But we didn't.  We spelled your name with an
"i".

	Melvin's jaw fell open.  He asked, "So who DID you name me after?"

	"No one," his mother replied.  And there
went the myth and the self respect in one fell
swoop.

	Melvin was one of my lovers.  He holds
the record for slob, and for confused.  The poor
guy was blessed with a balding head and tufts of
hair around the ears and circling the pate,
sticking out here and there like Bozo the Clown.
Once, we were watching television and some film
clip  of Bozo the Clown came on to illustrate
something hilarious.  He turned his face from the
screen, saying, "I hate that look!"

	Melvin's house was chaos.  His mind was
chaos.  In Melvin's house, it was hard to tell
which room was which, because pots and pans might
just as well appear in the bedroom as the
kitchen, a pile of bed sheets might just as well
appear in the living room as the bedroom, and a
sofa cushion might just as well appear in the
kitchen as the living room.  Melvin had a cat,
Piglet, whom I called, Giblet.  Giblet was the
only cat I've ever met whom I disliked.  He would
rush in front of me, and suddenly squat on the
stairs at my feet, tripping me.  I'd fall on my
face every time Giblet pulled this stunt, and I
hotly detested this.  Then, I realized that
Giblet was just doing what was necessary, because
the only way to attract Melvin's attention was to
trip him, level him, bonk him in the head hard,
so that he'd notice you.  Melvin rarely noticed
anything.  He was on his own distracted mission,
off someplace that we other humans dare not go.
We'd never return with our minds in order.

	Once, Melvin and I had arranged to meet
at 6:00 at his house.  In the morning, we parted,
and then I got a communique that made it clear I
couldn't possibly be back there by 6:00.  It
would be more like 7:30.  So I was forced with
having to write a note and make sure to place it
somewhere he couldn't miss it when he returned
from work in the late afternoon.  I wrote my note
in all capital letters, boldly, on a full sized
sheet of paper.

	"MELVIN.  I CAN'T BE HERE AT 6:00.  I
HAVE AN APPOINTMENT THAT I CANNOT MISS.  DON'T
WORRY.  I'LL BE BACK HERE BY 7:30.  LOVE, TOBIE."

	Then I had to find a place to post the
note, someplace in the midst of that fine chaos
where he couldn't fail to see it and read it.
But in the pandemonium of his house, how was I
going to place this note and be sure he'd find
it?  I selected a large overstuffed armchair, and
taped the note to the back cushion.  Then, with
great effort, I pushed the chair into position in
the path of the front door, so that when Melvin
opened the door, it would be stopped by the
obstructing chair.  Right there in his way.  He
would have to take the chair and move it to the
side at least a couple feet in order to get into
his own house.  He couldn't miss the note.  He'd
be staring it in the face.  That ought to do it.

	When I returned at 7:30, he greeted me
anxiously.  "Oh, there you are!  I was so
worried.  What happened?"

	"Didn't you see the note I left you?"

	"What note?"

	"The one on the armchair.  The one on the
armchair that was positioned to stop the front
door from opening."

	"Oh.  I wondered why that chair was there."

	And there, shoved off to the side of the
door, was the armchair, with the note still taped
to it.  Giblet had the right idea.

                              ¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net