TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 36

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Oct 23 07:17:24 PDT 2006

October 22, 200000000000006

Dear You Who Read and Comprehend,

	I belong to an internet dating service
called, "Jdate", for Jewish singles.  I've had
conversations with some of the interested
parties, and a few meets over coffee, but never
anything more than that.  People just are not
what they say they are (what they think they
are), and there is such a difference between
printed matter and a live flesh and blood human
being.  The whole computer dating routine is a
little silly, unless someone can tell me of a
plan that isn't.

	Anyway, I found a fellow on Craig's List
who billed himself as, "Good Guy".  This was a
couple of years ago, when I was first recovering
from villainman's departure and decided I had to
branch out and meet people, get out of my
isolation.  Good Guy was in desperate straits
financially.  So was I.  But he managed to play
schnorer (moocher) to me, manipulating me into
loaning him money for something he was going to
pay me back for immediately, or as soon as that
check came in from the big client who owed him.
The checks never materialized, of course, and
after a while, what with a tank of gas here, and
a car repair there (he had a Jaguar that financed
his mechanic's life),  half of his rent here, and
actually a plane ticket there, he wound up owing
me about a thousand dollars before I told him I
absolutely couldn't do that any more.  He said he
understood and that should do nothing to our
friendship.  He loved me, he said.

	Every time he came over, he'd busy
himself on his cell phone, making calls, and
motion to me to get him a drink.  The whole scene
became old.  There were other factors, too: his
hyper-neurotic involvement with a woman back east
who emotionally abused him, his disappearance
every time the check arrived, his never
listening.  Then, I saw his face and Good Guy tag
on Jdate.  I was surprised to see his claim under
"yearly income" as, "over $100,000".  I called
him, and we chatted.  I asked him about his
executive search business (headhunter for big
companies), and he said it had turned the corner
and he was doing great.  Simply great.  So I
asked that he pay me back the measly thousand
dollars he owed me.  I was in dire financial
circumstances, borrowing money from my mother
every month just to stay above water.  He said he
was good for it, and would send it right away.  I
waited.  You know the rest of the story.  He
disappeared utterly from my life, and wouldn't
return my phone calls or e-mails.  Good Guy. Feh.

	I was just informed by Jdate of my new
matches.  There was "Good Guy" again, smiling up
from his photograph, claiming all those things
that people on dating services claim.  It made me
uneasy and a little mad.  How can you tell about
someone from the internet?  Some people should
come with a warning label.  Maybe we all should.

	There is more.



Yes Sir, Yes Sir, Three Bags Full

	Halloween is not celebrated the same all
over the United States.  In Maryland, when I was
little, there were two nights of trick or
treating.  There was, "All Saints' Night", that
was on the 30th of October, and then the big
daddy of them all, Halloween, on the 31st.  On
All Saints' Night, pretty much the same ritual
took place.  From door to door, in costumes, the
little kidlets would ring doorbells and receive
handfuls of candy.  Then on Halloween, we'd
repeat the pleasure, filling our bags with more
confections, junk, sugar and fat, chocolate and
nuts.  It seems, in memory, that everyone was
remarkably generous.  We'd fill a bag with candy,
then return home, and dump it all into the big
yellow pyrex bowl.  Then we'd go out again, like
working stiffs bringing our cards to the time
clock, and checking in for hard labour.  We'd
pick up where we left off, and, with our fresh
empty bags work our way down the block.  In those
days, no one went with us.  Either people were
naive and unsuspecting, or the streets actually
were safer.  Parents opened their front doors and
let their little goblins and fairy princesses out
by themselves to walk the streets in search of
chocolate.

	We knew which were the lavish givers and
which were the skin flints.  There was always
somebody who made hand crafted treats: popcorn
caramel balls, candied apples, rice crispy
squares.  And these houses would be mobbed.
Things like caramel popcorn balls were difficult
to toss in the bag with the other riff raff,
because everything would stick to it.  My sister
and I went together.  One year, she went as the
headless horseman.  My mother had rigged up a
coat hanger on her head that held the jacket
above her, so that the visage of no head had
dramatic impact.  I went as a butterfly.  We
always had unusual costumes.  My mother was
brilliant at fabricating costumes from all our
weird ideas.  I was a dinosaur.  I was a penguin.
I was a kangaroo.  I was whatever my whim
instructed.  Did I ever think about the trials
and tribulations of my mother trying to fulfill
those whims?  No.  It was understood.  She was
there to make my dreams come true.

	When the headless horseman and the
butterfly came to a house down the street from
ours that had run out of candy, the man and lady
of the house apologized profusely.  "We're so
sorry.  We made caramel apples.  But we gave away
the last one half an hour ago."  My sister waited
until they were swamped with other trick or
treaters and then she had me follow her into
their living room where she found the
Encyclopedia Brittanica arranged neatly on the
shelves, and then she pulled all the books off
the bookcase and into a haphazard pile of rubble
on the floor.  Then she sneaked away into the
dark wicked night.  Halloween gave License to all
sorts of anti-social behaviour.  I remember
standing there gaping at her stunt, thinking how
mean and dangerous she was.

	When we'd filled our second bags with
loot, we'd come home, kick off our costumes and
sit at the big yellow pyrex bowl and proceed to
eat every last piece of candy as if it were a
mission.  We'd clean that goddamn bowl if it made
us sick to our stomachs and souls.  The idea was
to finish it.  It was a job, and a worker's gotta
do what a worker's gotta do.

	When we returned to California, we
couldn't believe our misfortune that there was no
All Saints' Night, and there was only one measly
night of Halloween.  We insisted that we keep
with Maryland, east coast, tradition, regardless
of west coast habit.  And we set out, with our
parents' knowing blessings, on the 30th of
October, to introduce this fine custom to the
ignorant Berkeley residents.  And you know, they
looked at us with disbelief when we interrupted
their dinners the night before Halloween.  They
were non-plussed.  They were confused.  They were
not about to reward us with candy for our
strange, greedy tradition.  We trudged back home,
weatherworn and rejected, disappointed in the
west coast for its stinginess.  We adapted.
There's just so much sugar and fat that any child
can consume.  We did our best to make sure that
the one sole lonely night of Halloween reaped
huge benefit.  And we heaped our bagfuls of booty
into that same yellow pyrex bowl, and went at it
like responsible adults.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA