TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 32

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Oct 20 16:24:04 PDT 2006

October 18, 2000000006

Dear Ye who listen,

	We are now ensconced at my mother's house.  We are surrounded
by boxes, and we are discovering what is missing, and what doesn't
belong here but should have been sent to storage.  Last night was our
second night sleeping here.  The kids are familiar with Gramma's
house, so there isn't that strangeness of an entirely new place, but
we haven't gotten our routines down.  And we do keep bumping into
Gramma and the way she does things.  This can all get worked out.  In
the meantime, I need to keep looking for a place to rent, so that we
can get out of here and leave Gramma in peace.  Life goes on.

fjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjf

Aversion Therapy, Conditioning in the Young Adult Male

	This is about Julian Woodruff, a violist and composer.  He
wasn't the first boy I ever kissed, but he was nearly the first boy I
ever kissed.  As I recall, the very first time I was kissed was
awful.  It was with an artist named Guy Colwell who had bright red
hair and bad acne.  The kiss was like being forced to drink a cup of
lukewarm creamed coffee.  It tasted terrible.  The kiss was very wet,
so wet it left me wanting to get a towel and wipe myself off.  That
was when I was nearly sixteen.

	Julian Woodruff was an odd and brilliant character.  I am
sure he'd never kissed a girl before me.  As much as I was an
outsider in high school, Julian was even more so.  These days, they
would have labelled him as having a mild case of Asperger's Syndrome,
and assigned him special services, special placements, training in
social skills, physical movement therapy, maybe Feldenkreis, and
other niceties.  I don't know whether anything remedial would have
done him any good.  In fact, with such a label, it may have made him
sick at heart, beaten, doomed.  I wonder about the diagnoses we give
our children.  They are necessary, but regrettable.

	Julian was a talented composer, and an atrocious violist.  He
just didn't have any looseness in his arms and hands.  But he knew
the music, understood the music and was good to have in a string
quartet for that reason.  He also had a good sense of humour, and was
much too fine neurotic.  His home life was wretched, different than
mine.  His parents fought with fists and I think there was drinking,
but no one was trying to undo him.  He had no enemy in the family
like I did.

	Julian and I met in the Berkeley High School Orchestra, and
we hung out with the same people.  The flirtation between us went on
forever.  We spent all our time together.  He looked at me in that
way.  You know the look.  I knew what we were headed for, but of
course, in high school, you don't dare mention it.  I remember
walking home together, all the way from Berkeley High School to my
house, the house I am staying in now.  It was several miles, and my
hand was hanging loose there at my side, just ready to be held, if he
should think to do so.  But he didn't.  Instead, he hinted that there
was a popular song on the radio by a new group called The Beatles and
he was thinking of it.  Did I know it?  But unfortunately, I didn't
know it off hand.  I was too busy in my practice room with my 'cello.
He had to tell me the title of it.  "I Want To Hold Your Hand."  And
then he waited while I got the gist of what he was suggesting.  I
said, "Go ahead," but he wouldn't make the first move.  He asked me
to do it.  "Oh, for Pete's sake!" I said, and I took his hand.

	It was the same way for the first kiss.  We'd be playing
around and talking in the  living room, our faces getting closer and
closer, and then he moved in for the kiss, but stopped right in front
of my mouth before doing the unthinkable.  He said, slowly,
"Surprise!" as he drew his head back.  It drove me crazy.  But there
was a first kiss, though I had to initiate it.  And a second kiss,
which he initiated.  It was weird behaviour for a seventeen year old
male, but I had grown to accept weird from the time I was chewing on
my own toes.  Weird was normal.  I expected it.  It certainly didn't
make me feel very attractive though.

	We went together for a while in secret.  That was his idea.
We weren't to tell anyone that we were connected romantically, and I
kept my part of the bargain.  Then after about four weeks of secrecy,
he announced to me that it was time to tell our friends.  We told
them.  No one was particularly surprised but Julian.

	One evening, he was driving me home from a rehearsal and he
told me about a letter that had been written to Dear Abby a while
before.  It seemed that there was a man who was repulsed by his wife.
Physically repulsed.  He couldn't bring himself to kiss her or hold
her, definitely not to make love to her.  But he swore that he did
care about her, love her, and wanted to make the  marriage work.
Abby's advice to him was scientific.  She told him that he should
condition himself, increment by increment.  Little by little he was
to start by holding her hand, something unthreatening.  And then
after holding her hand for a while, finding it no longer repulsive,
he was to step it up and maybe touch her cheek with his hand, kiss
her cheek.  When he was used to that, he was to try to kiss her,
knowing that at each step it would feel strange, maybe even
revolting, but she assured him that with this method, he could
eventually be able to make love to her, and even find pleasure in it
after a long while, if he stuck to the rigorous plan.  Julian told me
all this and then stopped talking.  I sat there in the passenger
seat, going over what he'd told me.  Why he'd told me was the real
question.  It dawned on me.

	"That's what you did with me, wasn't it!" I said, shocked to
the soles of my feet.

	He erupted, "Well it worked, didn't it!?"

	It was very shortly after that that I broke up with him.
Suddenly I found him and everything he did repellent.  Funny thing,
love.

fjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjfjf
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net