TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 22

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Oct 7 08:28:13 PDT 2006

October 7, 2000000000006

Dear Huddled Masses Yearning to Breathe Free,

	It is Saturday morning, and usually on Saturdays, I take a
day off from this, since it's Shabbos, but on this Shabbos, I thought
it would be a special joy to type up a life story, and joy is
acceptable on Shabbos.  It's work that we don't do.

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

The Very Sad Story of a Bigot in Training

	Joy Moy was in my class at Rock Creek Forest Elementary
School in Silver Spring, Maryland.  Her older sister, Christina Moy,
was in my sister's class.  I used to gaze lovingly at Joy Moy because
I thought she was the most beautiful creature I'd ever seen.  I liked
everything about her, even the way she sat in her chair.  There was
nothing Joy could do that was wrong.  She had a squarish face and
blonde curly hair that hung in locks all around it.  Her eyes were
blue.  She was exotic to me who was used to us dark haired, black
eyed, oval faced Jews.  We had our look, though I was unaware of it.
And of course, there were plenty of us who didn't fit that mold in
the slightest.  But I was unaware of that, too.

	What I didn't understand was why Joy Moy ran away from me
every time I approached her.  She ran away as if I were some toxic
substance mounted on a delivery system.  I didn't interpret this as
her not liking me.  I didn't interpret it at all.  It was a
phenomenon, and I couldn't grasp the meaning.  I just wanted to play
with her.  I wanted to play with her so badly that I kept walking up
to her during recess, even though she kept running away.  Then, when
the bell rang, and we first graders went back inside to our desks,
I'd stare at Joy Moy sitting perfectly in her chair, her pencil in
her perfect graceful hand.  She never had her breakfast on her face,
like Sherry did, and her dresses didn't drag down on the floor
because they were uneven like Ellen Salzman.  Joy was well behaved
and well bred, and I emulated her attitude and movements.

	Back on the playground, I sought her out again and finally
asked her why she kept running away from me.  She told me her father
had forbidden her to play with me because I was Jewish, and then she
chanted a little ditty that she must have learned somewhere, some
secret place where Jews aren't allowed, because I'd never heard the
chant before:

	"Nigger lover, nigger lover, nigger lover, Jew,
	 We don't like niggers and we don't like you!"

I memorized it the first time I heard it from Joy Moy's perfect lips.

	At the time, I was crushed.  It was true that I was a Jew,
and so Joy's father's prohibition was at least accurate.  But what
could I do about being this Jewish girl that her father didn't want
to mingle with his daughter?  I think I cried, though I may have just
wandered around in a dumbfounded daze.

	I used to feel victimized by Joy Moy and her catchy poem.
But as I grew older, I felt damn sorry for her.  Here she was, in a
school that was something like 70% Jewish, since all the Jews lived
only in the neighborhood where realtors would sell houses to us.  70%
Jewish, and Joy had been indoctrinated by her family to avoid all
Jews.  Who was there left for Joy to play with, and how could she
keep track of exactly which little kids were Jewish and which were
not?  Being a dedicated bigot is a lonesome occupation.  It's too
much for a child.

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Horns

	To the west of our house in Silver Spring was the Marshall
family.  Susie Marshall was my age, and we played together a lot.
Susie was not the sharpest needle in the haystack, but that didn't
matter much on a back yard swing.  Susie used to come to our front
door and ask if Tobie could come out and play, always while we were
eating dinner.  My mother would tell her nicely that we were having
our dinner and could she come back later.  Then Susie would meander
around to the back door and knock there.  "We're still eating dinner,
Susie.  Come back later."  So she'd make her way to the front door
again.

	Susie and I liked to swing and sing together.  We'd pump our
legs until the swings were going high, and we'd  work hard at it so
we were swinging in the same arc at the same time.  Then we'd pick a
song we both knew and we'd sing it.  Susie didn't go to Rock Creek
Forest Elementary School.  She went to a Catholic school, and she
wore an uniform.  The first thing she had to do when she got home was
change out of her school uniform into her play clothes.  Then she'd
come over to my house.  I seldom went to hers.  One day, we were in
the back yard and Susie asked me if she could feel my horns.  I was
non plussed.

	"I don't have any horns."

	"My teacher at school says Jews have horns."

	So we both rummaged through my hair to find these mysterious
horns, and we didn't find them.  I was relieved and vindicated.  I'm
not sure how Susie took the disappointment.

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net