TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 72

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Nov 27 08:36:53 PST 2006

November 27, 200000000000000000006

Dear Wise Skies,

	We made turkey soup yesterday with the
carcass and the leftover turkey meat, but the pot
wouldn't come to a boil.  My mother has this new
age electric stove top that only works if the pot
is completely flat, and then, it never gets up to
the temperature that a gas stove would reach
instantly.  So the pot sat there for an hour or
more, getting less than tepid.  We'd already made
the matzo ball batter, and finally had to call
off dinner at home because the soup just wouldn't
be ready in time.  Maybe we would have eaten at
8:30 or 9:00.  And it was a school night.  So we
went out to a little diner not far from us.
Okay, if not terrific food, and dubious service.
But convenient.  And you know what people will do
for convenience!  Practically everything.  Easier
doesn't mean better, I tell my kids.  And they
listen.

	Listen here.

                             ßßߥßßߥßßߥßßߥßßߥßßߥßßߥßßߥßßߥßßߥßßߥßßß

Chasing father

	2405 Colston Drive was our address in
Silver Spring, Maryland.  I still remember our
phone number: JUniper 7-8190.  It is weird how a
telephone number can stick in your head like
that.  Of what use is this information now?  And
what useful information has this pointless
recollection of an ancient extinct phone number
pushed aside in my brain?  There are just so many
slots in the brain's memory banks to fill, and
when they're all filled up, when you shove
something new in there, something else has to be
deleted so it can fit.  Out goes the memory of
those dates in the Civil War and the names of the
generals; in goes the name of the bagger at the
Safeway who dropped your bottle of wine and broke
it into a million pieces in the parking lot.  If
you're going to forget something, let it be those
Civil War generals and the dates of the battles.
But how does the mechanism work?  How is the
selection made of what to jettison from the
memory?  Is there a hierarchy of importance of
memories?  Does the oldest memory fall off the
end of the brain?  Who studies this sort of
thing?  How far have they gotten?

	Colston Drive ran parallel to the East
West Highway and perpendicular to Grubb Road.
Rock Creek Forest Elementary School was on Grubb
Road.  And further down was a block full of
stores:  a hardware store, a delicatessen, a drug
store with a soda fountain, a five and dime.  I
knew my way around those businesses on Grubb Road.

	When I was four years old, my father
announced that he was going to the hardware store
on Grubb Road.  I shouted out, immediately, that
I wanted to go with him.  Please, could I go with
him?  He looked at his wristwatch and counted out
the seconds to exactly 9:00 on that Saturday
morning.  He instructed me to get ready to go,
and that he would wait for me for precisely two
minutes, not a second longer, and then he would
depart without me.  I ratchetted up my activity
level.  Had to get ready in two minutes.  I was
frantic.  Put on the socks and shoes, pull that
dress over my head, quick quick quick.  He's
going to leave without me.  This was a lot to ask
of a four year old.  I rushed through my paces,
trying my best to make it out to the front door
so I could go with him down the street to the
hardware store.  I crammed my dress over my head,
got my socks and shoes on, and ran to the front
door, all out of breath.  He'd left the front
door open, and he'd left without saying a word.
No warning, just left without me, leaving the
front door open.  I felt punished.  But maybe I
could catch up to him.

	I bolted out the front door and down the
path over the hill in the front yard.  I could
see him far up ahead walking away.  So I
redoubled my efforts, and I called out after him,
"Daddy!  Daddy!  Wait!  Wait for me!  Here I
come!"  He didn't hear me, or else he was
ignoring me.  He kept marching forward, striding
quickly, not turning to see me.  I closed the
gap, and rounded the corner from Colston Drive to
Grubb Road.  I was gaining on him.  I could see
the back of his head only twenty feet in front of
me.  I shouted out again.  "Daddy!  Wait for me!"
At that point I knew he had to have heard me.  We
were that close.  But he didn't pause, or turn
around, or answer me.  He kept up his pace,
ignoring me, shutting me out of his mind.  I
tried to run faster, my skirt blowing in the
wind.  Then suddenly I realized that I'd
forgotten to put on my underpants.  I stopped
dead in my tracks, gathered my skirt around my
legs, turned around, and crawled back home,
humiliated.  Who knew how much of me had shown in
public view?  I cried all the way home, ran into
the bedroom I shared with my sister, and sneaked
back onto my bed, where I found my underwear and
slowly stepped into it, pulled it up over my hips
and covered myself.  Then, snivelling, I crept
into the living room, turned on the television
and watched the Saturday morning cartoons.  I was
mortified.

	I've wondered where that excruciating
shame came from so early in my life.  Four years
old is a bit young to be so exquisitely shamed by
nudity.  But it had been drummed into me,
somehow.  I've contemplated it, but I don't know
how far back the sexual abuse started.
Certainly, the psychological shaming could have
begun by then.  I had a good dose of it.  I
didn't look my father in the eye for the rest of
the day.

                             ßßߥßßߥßßߥßßߥßßߥßßߥßßߥßßߥßßߥßßߥßßߥßßß
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro