TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 71

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Nov 26 09:27:27 PST 2006

November 26, 2000000006

Dear Folk Units,

	It's Sunday morning.  The worst shopping
day in the year is past us now (thank goodness).
We do our Channukah celebration three weeks from
today.  This year I haven't bought presents in
advance, as I was sort of occupied with other
matters.  Now, I wonder how I'm going to get it
all done in time.  I don't like the forced
feeling of having to buy presents.  That's why I
usually buy presents all throughout the year, and
by the time Channukah comes, I've gotten a lot
done already.  Channukah didn't used to be a gift
giving holiday.  It became so in answer to the
allure of Christmas to Jewish kids who needed
something to counteract the loud noise that
Christmas makes.   Christmas is sparkly too.  So
Channukah, which was a minor holiday actually, a
holiday that was delightful but low key, became
this huge gift giving marathon.  Eight presents
for eight nights.  It used to be Channukah gelt.
That is, there would be a little money every
night for the kids.  That was it.

	I love Channukah.  When all the menorahs
are lit and standing in the window, they are so
beautiful.  And I enjoy getting the eight
presents for my kids, surprising them every night
with some little thing or other.  Then one day,
the whole family gets together for the potlatch.
We wade through a stack of presents thigh high
under my mother's piano.  This year, we'll have
to move our instruments from under the piano to
make room for the gifts.  It's good.  It's good.

	But I'm sort of short on change, having
spent TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS moving.  Honest.  They
estimated five thousand, but by the time the
Family Packers and Northstar Movers had delivered
the boxes to my mother's house, and the rest of
the largesse had been put in storage in Fremont,
it turned out to be twice that.  I had to borrow
to pay them off.  And now I'm paying monthly
storage costs that are obscene.  Plus, I'm going
to have to store the piano, that lovely old lady,
built in 1876.  She needs a climate controlled
place to be stored, and that will cost some
money.  Money money money.

	Meyshe has a thing against money.  He
says we Americans (north Americans) think too
much about money, and that we should think about
other qualities of life.  I tell him that money
isn't evil basically, and that if you don't have
money, you have to think about it a lot.  He sees
it as a sickness.  And in some ways, he's right,
of course.  Trying to fulfill your life with
possessions and status symbols (SUVs come to
mind) is a sickness.  This constant drumming in
the culture that everything should always be
getting bigger, more expensive, grander, more,
just more.  That's unsustainable.  We need to
pare back.  Find a delicious norm and develop our
traditions around that.  And how is this going to
happen?  Good question.

	A not so good question:

                            ‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡§‡

The father daughter team

	Dweller and I had come over to my
parents' house for dinner.  It was another
evening at the homestead.  We came over
frequently, maybe once a week.  This time, as
soon as we walked in the door, my father said he
needed to speak to me about an offer.  That was
enough to raise the little tiny hairs on the back
of my neck.  An offer.  What did he have up his
sleeve now?  Dweller and I sat down in the living
room and my father took the stage.  He described
how he enjoyed going to the topless nightclubs on
Broadway in San Francisco, and how much money was
to be made in show business.  This did not bode
well.  Then he rolled into how he plays the
violin and I play the guitar and cello, and what
a great act we would make playing together as a
father daughter team.

	"You would play, preferably topless, but
you wouldn't have to be, and we could do the
clubs on Broadway."

	Dweller's jaw fell open and I closed it
for him.  Then my father told me to think
seriously about it, and puttered off into the
kitchen to harass my mother.  Dweller laughed at
this offer.  I didn't.  I suppose I have no sense
of humour when it comes to my father.  I just
couldn't see his offer for me to play the guitar
topless with him as anything but more rude and
sleazy ogling.  I was used to the leers and the
nasty jokes at my expense, the comments about my
curvaceousness and particular attributes of these
curves.  I'd even gotten used to the magazines in
my bed.  It all goes to show how humans can get
used to almost anything.  Dweller proposed we
say, "no", to my father, and treat it as a joke.
I was still cringing so I didn't know how to
treat it, but I knew the answer was, "No".  Did
we absolutely have to treat the offer as anything
at all?  Couldn't we just let it lie there and
die from lack of response?  Couldn't we maybe tie
it up in a noose and hang him with it?  The idea
of telling my mother on him was pointless.  She'd
just say how he probably meant it as a
compliment.  Telling my mother would be
disappointment on top of insult.  I was tired of
insults and tired of disappointments, even though
I was used to it.

	My father came back in the room rubbing
his hands together dramatically.  "So?  Have you
made your decision?"

	"No," Dweller said.

	"I can give you more time to think," he said starting to leave.

	"No, Justin.  What I meant was, 'No' is
the answer  She can't.  No.  It's ridiculous."

	He stood there for a moment to take in
the refusal.  Then he looked at me and added,
"Would it help if I went topless, too?"

	And here I had to laugh.  You have to
understand how my father looked.  He had a face
very much like Yasser Arafat's, but without the
burnoose, and a pear shaped body, with a paunch
that stuck out in front of him because he
slouched from the shoulders down.  Evidently his
posture was this way because his mother, Lena,
had told him repeatedly to stand up straight,
which sheds some light on his character as it is.
He cinched in his belt very tightly so that the
fat on either side of the divide pooched out
generously.  He was broad in the beam and wore
clashing colours if he could get by my mother's
inspection.  A fire engine red polyester short
sleeved shirt over sky blue polyester pants was
highly possible.  And then his shoes which were
laced with rubber bands, an invention of his to
avoid tying shoelaces every morning, dark green
socks, maybe matched.  His bald spot was
positioned on the top of his head and proceeded
to spread out and take his whole scalp, with a
comb-over laid flat over the crop circle.  He was
very hirsute, with hair on his chest, his
stomach, his back, his arms and hands.  This was
what he was offering to go topless, you know, to
sweeten the deal.

	May I laugh, or can I cry?

	Even though the offer was facetious,
never something he would actually have done, it
wormed its way into my head and made curly little
tunnels in there.  It was another successful
performance piece.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA