TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 67

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Nov 22 09:09:23 PST 2006

November 22, 200000000006

Dear Friends,

	Yesterday was a non-stop, no breaks
marathon.  I didn't even get to edit my Life
Story and mail it in.  So I just shot it off, and
am working on this next one.  We may double up
today, so forgive me.  Yesterday's ordeal started
with the petty dickering of villainman and his
lawyer.   Just to give you an idea of the
activity from villainman and his lawyer, I saw a
chart that we all had to fill in.  In it, stated
clearly were the amounts that each of us had
spent on our legal representation.  I'd spent
$6,000.00 roughly.  He'd spent $27,000.  It's all
those unnecessary letters that add up to
harassment:  "I am dismayed that....".  "I am
outraged that....".  "I am indignant at ....".
"I must voice my vigorous objection to....".  We
usually let them slide.  The Judge is onto them.
So we worked on a settlement from 9:30 until 2:30
with no breaks but for the toilet.  Someone was
sent out for sandwiches which were eaten while we
worked, but I couldn't partake because of ... oh
it's too complicated.  I get bladder infections
that back up into my kidneys, and eating without
drinking  a bucket or so of water will get me an
infection.  So I passed.

	We'd hoped to get the whole settlement
completed so that we wouldn't have to return and
do this all over again, but no.  We have a return
date on the 6th of December.  Feh.  I got out of
there just in time to head on over to the
realtors' office to accept bids on the house.
There seems to be no slowing of the real estate
market where our house was concerned.  There were
6 bids, and all but two went way over the asking
price.  We accepted a bid, and are now officially
in contract.  This means I have to find suitable
storage for my great grand piano.  Something
climate controlled.  On top of everything else I
have to do.

	When I returned home last night, at about
7:00, I was spent, wrung out, seeing funny and
light headed.  I was in a different world,
stressed and suspended between reality and
surreality.  It took a few hours to come down.
Now here I am the next morning, and it's like
I've got a hangover.  Time to start trussing
turkeys, and stuffing turkeys and swabbing the
turkey tails.  It's a challenge.

	A challenge.

ççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççç

Denting the power structure

	The orchestras I belonged to as a
teenager all worked on the challenge system.  It
was a primitive pagan ritual of duelling to see
who was the better instrumentalist, and who would
sit in which chair.  In an actual professional
orchestra, a group of  musicians, all playing the
same instrument, are seated by twos, called
stands, and who sits where, except for the first
stand, is determined by what will make the best
sound for the audience.  In the first stand you
have the principal or first violist, say, and
that would be the musician most suited to solo
playing, and next to the principal violist would
be the assistant principal violist, also suited
to solo work, who can take over for the principal
player if he or she is indisposed.  But the most
important factor is the overall sound.  In high
school and college orchestras, musicians are
seated, one, two, three, four, by how good
players they are.  So the best player sits in the
first chair, closest to the conductor, and the
weakest, shameful, miscreant player is the last
chair, where the conductor's baton is a distant
little stick.

	The way you get out of the last chair and
sit in the next to the last chair is by
challenging the player ahead of you.  This is how
it works.  A challenge is officially brought up
to the conductor, and a time for the duel is set.
It will be after school at 4:00 in the orchestra
room, or 8:00 p.m., after rehearsal is over for
the extra curricular orchestra, at the site of
the rehearsal.  Then what happens is this (and
remember, I said it was primitive).  The
conductor sits, blindfolded, in a chair, facing
the two duellist.  One after the other, the two
play the same section of any particular piece the
orchestra is rehearsing for concert.  The
blindfolded conductor selects the player that is
thought to be the stronger of the two.  If the
last violist is deemed to play better than the
next to the last violist, then they trade places.
From there, of course, the challenger can work
his or her way up the hierarchy until the place
of their own incompetence is achieved.  Actually,
there are no challenges in the last and
penultimate chairs.  By the time you're sitting
in the last chair, you could probably care less
if you were sitting, instead, in the next to the
last chair.  The challenges usually take place in
the first two stands, and particularly, the
assistant principal challenges the principal
player.  It's gross.  That's the only way I can
think of it.  Gross.  But that was the way things
worked.

	Imagine eighty musicians in an orchestra,
each one jealous of the first chair, and each one
challenging the principal player on a regular
basis.  Musical chairs, I think, is the
expression.  How can competing entities cooperate
to make beautiful music?  Music is supposed to be
harmonious, right?  The challenge system stood
for everything that was wrong in high school,
everything that was wrong with American society,
everything that was wrong with the world.  Why
can't we all just get along?

	In the Berkeley High School Orchestra,
and the Young People's Symphony Orchestra I was
the principal cellist.  And next to me sat
Barbara Lockhardt, a most competitive soul.  I
remember Barbara so well, I could draw her
picture.  Mostly, those eyes,, glaring at me from
the darkness of her little teeny soul.  She
wanted my chair.  She wanted to be FIRST!  And so
every week, a challenge would issue forth from
Barbara Lockhardt to Tobie Shapiro.  Every week,
we'd sit in front of the blindfolded Thomas
Haynes, who conducted both orchestras, every week
we'd play for him, and every week he'd select me
again as the principal cellist.  This made
Barbara mad.  She was hopping mad, and deeply
jealous.  It caused her to make comments such as,
"If I were first chair, I wouldn't use those
fingerings.", or, "I think your vibrato is rather
fake."

	The same thing was going on in the first
violin section.  Poor Frank Bliss was challenged
every week by Peter Hansen.  The results of those
contests were similar.  Frank always came out on
top.  Frank and I talked.  The process was eating
us alive.  So we teamed up and went to Thomas
Haynes and told him we wanted to get rid of the
challenge system.  Do anything, we said.  Give
Peter and Barbara the first chairs and let us sit
in the second chair, just to get them off our
backs.  I did one better.  I told Mr. Haynes to
move me to third chair so I wouldn't have to get
eaten alive by Barbara from either direction.  I
did not want her incessant challenging, nor did I
want to suffer her gloating.  Put me in the
second stand.  Anything to get away from her.

	The next rehearsal of the Young People's
Symphony, I came in, and set myself up at the
outside of the second stand.  When Barbara
Lockhardt came in, I motioned her to the empty
first chair.  I said, "Take it.  You've wanted
first chair all this year.  Now it's yours."  She
looked stunned and oddly disappointed.  "But I
can't just usurp the throne," she whined, "I need
to win it."

	Oy!

	She went to Thomas Haynes and told him
that she needed to win the chair not just have it
given to her.  But I told both of them that I was
unwilling to go through the challenges again.
She could just take the chair for the greater
harmony.  That didn't suit her, and she whined
some more.

	"Look," Thomas Haynes said, "How about we
flip a coin?  Whoever wins gets first chair for
this next concert and second chair for the last
concert."  This form of earning the chair
appealed to her, and she agreed.  We flipped the
coin and she called out heads.  It landed heads.
So she took first chair, boldly and insufferably.

	"Now that I'm first chair," Barbara said,
"Things are going to change around here!"

	"What?  Where there was once a down bow, there will now be an up bow?"

	Frank let Peter Hansen take the first
chair.  So there was a new configuration in the
orchestra.  After that arrangement was made, the
challenge system was retired forever.  I made my
dent in the power structure.

ççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççç
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net