TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 66

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Nov 22 08:09:27 PST 2006

November 21, 200006

Dear Pipples,

	Today is a big day.  I have to go for a
divorce settlement conference at 9:30 a.m., and
then after we get through tossing my insides
around about that, I have to show up at the
realtors' place and accept bids on the house at
3:00.  That's a whole day of avoiding villainman
while being in close proximity to him.  I really
don't look forward to this.  I already have an
uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach.  With
hope, we get the whole case settled today.  That
would be good.  The closer we get to having him
be removed from my life for good, the better I'll
feel.  He and his new wife (my old friend) have
been doing nothing short of stalking me with
their harassing letters and accusations that I've
taken things, or lied or, God only knows what
they think I'm capable of doing.  All I know is
that I've conducted myself honestly and ethically
during this whole insane process, and have been
as gracious as I could be considering the
circumstances.  I've never lobbed an unnecessary
letter, nor thought awful things about
villainman.  I've disliked him fervently, but I
haven't thought awful things about his demise.
So I can rest in peace about my behaviour.
Still, I get this knot in my stomach about the
whole process.  I know I'm going to be in dire
financial straits when this is all over.  And how
will I take care of my twins?  There's the big
question.

	Here is something hard to believe

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

Do not suspend your disbelief

	There are some things that have happened
to me, or that I have happened to me, that I
cannot explain.  Science just doesn't have a
grasp of it.  Yet, I know there are explanations,
actual phenomena taking place.  These things have
happened most of my life, and I suppose, though I
hate the word, they are psychic experiences.
"Psychic" conjures all sorts of ridiculous images
and personalities:  the serious tarot card reader
at a fair, the medium at her hollow table with
the darkened room and the extras she hires to
play dead relatives, the true believer that
rejects all of science in favour of the extra
terrestrials who are communicating with her
through her breakfast cereal, palmists,
phrenologists, Uri Geller, people who are sure
they've seen ghosts in their front room playing
cards.  I am a skeptic.  I am at heart and at
mind skeptical.  If someone told me about the
things I will tell you, I wouldn't believe it,
not unless I were there at the time it happened,
and then only after I'd exhausted all logical
approaches, done my interrogating and been
satisfied.  Still, I'd harbour a suspicion that I
just hadn't caught the hitch, the hole in the
reasoning, the true explanation.

	With that said, I have to say that I am
psychic.  It's not anything I could do on
purpose.  It happens when it happens.  Neither
could I prevent it from happening, because it
happens in my sleep, most of the time.  I  have
premonitive dreams.  The dream will have a
certain glow to it, an ethereal glow, a powerful
one, and even in my sleep I will know that I'm
having one of those dreams.  They are quite
literal: no metaphors or wiggle room.  I will
give examples.  I will.

	When I was 19 or so, I used to visit at
my sister's house frequently.  She and Fred lived
on Derby Street, not far from the campus of the
University of California.  They had a host of
friends, most of them pot heads and psychedelic
druggies.  Among these was Rima, Dana's best
friend from college days, and her partner Ian
Douglas.  Ian was the local dealer, a wiry, long
limbed and soft spoken guy with a full beard and
mustache who took acid so many times it must have
been his regular state of mind.  I dreampt one
night while I was staying with Arthur Glickman,
that war broke out in the Middle east between
Israel and her Arab neighbors, and that I got on
my bicycle to ride down to my sister's house to
tell them.  When I opened the front door, Ian was
sitting in a lotus position on the floor in the
living room and when he looked up at me.  I saw
that he'd shaved his beard and mustache.  He
looked completely different without them, almost
unrecognizable.  I woke up.  I went into the
kitchen, and Arthur's room mates were slouching
around making breakfast.  One of them turned on
the radio.  The six day war had broken out in the
Middle-east.  This alarmed me.  So I got on my
bicycle and rode down to Dana's and Fred's house.
When I opened the front door, Ian was sitting in
a lotus position on the living room floor.  He'd
shaved off his beard and mustache and looked
utterly different.  But he looked just like the
man in my dream.

	When I was in junior high school, I had
an English and Social Studies teacher, Joe
Garcia, who pleased me no end.  I had one of my
daddy crushes on him.  Wouldn't it be great if he
were my father instead of the man who was?  We
became close while I was his student.  He was
invited over to listen to chamber music when his
friend, a clarinettist, was playing with my
father and company.  They played Prokofiev's
Overture on Hebrew Themes.  Joe and his pretty
young red headed wife sat on our couch listening,
and I glowed with warmth for him.  After I
graduated from high school, Joseph Garcia went to
Cuba to help out Castro and his fledgling
communist country.  He was gone a few years and
came back saying that the Cubans didn't really
want his help.  I was a junior in high school.
Then he disappeared.  The only time I heard
anything about him was right before taking my
final exam in Zoology in the twelfth grade.
Another student who'd gone to Willard Junior High
School with me leaned over and said, "Remember
Joe Garcia from Willard?  Well, he committed
suicide."  I could barely move my pen, so stunned
was I.  I went to the teacher and told him that I
was shocked and would have to take a make up exam
some other time.  He allowed me to do so.
Fourteen years after his initial disappearance, I
had a glowing dream that Joe Garcia sent me a
postcard.  It was sitting in my mother's kitchen
and she said, "Look who wrote you a postcard!
Joe Garcia!"  The next day, I came to visit my
mother and she said, "Look who wrote you a
postcard!  Joe Garcia!" and she swept the
postcard off the shelf in the kitchen and handed
it to me.  So he wasn't dead.  He was very much
alive.  When I was asleep, I knew.

	I felt it.  I knew I was pregnant.  A lot
of women have a sixth sense about it.  I knew
before my gynecologist knew.  She wanted me to
wait until my period was due and then get a test.
But my periods were so irregular that it could be
due any time:  four weeks, three weeks, six
weeks, eight weeks.  We waited for 28 days and
then I gave them my urine sample.  The
gynecologist called me to say that I had been
right.  I was indeed pregnant.  My first
pregnancy, my first attempt at a pregnancy.  I
was delighted.  That night I had a dream.  And it
had a glow to it.  I dreampt I was lying in the
bed I was lying in, surrounded by the clutter in
the room that crowded us.  Everything was in that
bedroom: my cello, my computer, my art supplies,
my guitar.  But in the dream, in addition to all
that, there were two huge round topped, round
bottomed black perambulators at the foot of the
bed.  I stared at them, stunned.  I awoke sitting
up in bed.  I said, out loud, "Oh my God!  It's
twins.  We've got to get a bigger house."  I
decided not to tell my husband this because I
figured he'd think I'd sprung a leak.  So I kept
it to myself.  A few weeks later, we had the
first sonogram.  The practitioner squirted the
warm jelly on my belly, and smoothed it out with
the scanner.  She pressed the tool against me and
watched the screen.  Then, suddenly, she turned
it off.  She said, "I have a surprise for you.
It's twins."  Even though I knew to trust my
dreams when they glow, I was dumb struck that I
was right.

	A few years later, we were living in the
house that eventually burned down in the fire of
1991.  One night I had a glowing dream.  I was in
my grandparents' house in San Francisco.  In the
living room, many of my relatives were assembled.
I was standing near the front windows on one side
of the room where there was a couch, and on the
other side of the room was another couch.  That's
where I saw my grandmother, my grandfather, my
uncle Max, my uncle Al, my aunt Gussie, all
sitting on the couch.  Then I saw my great uncle
Louie, a man who deserves some special
consideration in some future story.  He was
walking with his walker into the room from the
dining room.  He was crossing from my side of the
room to the other, singing, "I LOVE LIFE!  I WANT
TO LIVE!" which was  his favourite song to burst
out and sing while he waved his arms around.  In
this case, I looked across the room, where he was
heading, and I said to myself, "They're all dead.
Does this mean Louie's dying?  Maybe I should
warn him."  And I began to move forward to
intercede, but stopped myself.  "He's 99 years
old.  He's feeble.  He's lived a long life.  Let
him go."  And I stood back, instead conjuring up
the voices of my dead relatives.  Each one I
could hear perfectly, just as they'd sounded when
they were alive.  It was like visiting them
again.  When I woke up, I looked at the clock.
It was one thirty in the morning.  I went back to
sleep.  In the morning, my mother called me.  She
said, "Uncle Louie died last night."  I asked her
what time, and she said, "About one thirty in the
morning."

	I have no explanation for these
occurrences.  There have been many more than the
ones I've told you about.  Each time, the dream
has a glow; each time, it proves to be correct.
I've dreampt about family members dying, and I
dreampt about the attacks on the twin towers in
New York City.  They all proved true.  And, as I
said, if someone were to tell me he or she had
experienced these things, I would not believe it.
But it's I telling these stories and I believe
it.  To make sense of it is another thing
altogether.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA