TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 63

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Nov 18 08:20:44 PST 2006

November 18, 20000000000000000000006

Dear dear dear,

	Rats.  It's Saturday, Shabbos, and I woke
up early.  I could have slept in, but NO, I have
to wake up before seven o'clock.  And what is
there to do while everyone else sleeps?  Well, my
mother has a cold so I can avoid doorknobs and
cupboard handles.  I can take zinc and hope I'm
not infested.  These are activities you see.  I
wish I could go back to sleep and have a big
dream, but that isn't going to happen.  I'm up.
So I'm up.  So the least I can do is type out
another Life Story.

                                   ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ

How to go crazy

	Harry used to say that my father was one
of the comic figures of the 20th century.  I
couldn't see any humour in him that wasn't
fatally stained with wickedness.  Harry laughed
even at the way he held his violin case, tilted
forward against an imaginary blast of wind.  He
laughed at the way I described my father marching
dramatically out the back door to go to the
voting booth, his practice ballot trailing behind
him.  Everything was a show, a big show put on
for the viewing by others who may have been a
part of his life, or total strangers who weren't.
There was always some role he was playing.  I
wish I could have had Harry's attitude, or
actually, I wish I'd had Harry's distance from
him.  Harry didn't see my parents much.  I think
he was introduced to my father once or twice, but
over a period of seven years, that isn't a lot,
so how could Harry have grasped the malevolence
in him?

	Dweller got along with Justin as well as
can be expected.  My father was a little taken
aback by Dweller because Dweller was a nice guy,
and relatively absent of serious neuroses, so he
didn't react to my father in a serious way.  He
took all of his stunts at face value, missing the
undercurrents, all the hidden messages, all the
guile and sadism.  I hadn't pieced together what
had happened to me yet.  It was all a jumble of
scenes and regrets, anger and total despair,
hatred and craziness.  Still, every time he
pulled another number, my antennae were up
catching the whole thing.  I may even have
attributed more to him than he deserved credit
for, but nothing just slipped past me.  Unless of
course, I didn't know about it, and then a whole
lot could have slipped past me.  The point is, I
doubt it.  I doubted everything.  I did.  Since
my mother kept looking the other way and making
excuses for him, I didn't quite believe solidly
what I was seeing.  That can make your head spin
on its stick.  And my head did a lot of spinning.
I've never succeeded in imparting quite the
reality that was my father to anyone outside the
family.  First of all, who could believe it?
Second of all, if you did believe it, you'd still
be missing the impact, the gestures, the
planning, the schadenfreude that went into his
behaviour.

	An example of how I was driven crazy:  I
came downstairs dressed up to go out to play
chamber music.  I stopped by the hallway mirror
near the kitchen to check on my face (was it
still there?).  My father was sitting in the
kitchen and my mother was at the stove, stirring.
My father took a long leering ogle at me, clapped
his hands then rubbed them together and yelled
out, "Boy!  You're built like a brick shit-house!
If I were your age, would I ever screw you!!"

	I felt as if someone had stripped me
bare, as if I'd been violated.  I also felt like
I must have dressed on purpose somehow to elicit
this reaction in him.  I covered up and walked
past him quickly, then past my mother.  I went
upstairs, changed into a sack dress and came back
down.  My mother met me at the stairs.  I had an
expression of disgust, alarm and shame on my
face.  I looked at my mother for reassurance,
someone was witness to the abuse.  Instead, she
said,  "He has no idea what his effect is on
other people.  I'm sure he meant it as a
compliment."

	That's the point where the disgust alarm
and shame turns into lunacy.  Was that really an
acceptable way for a father to talk to his
daughter?  Didn't what he said cross over some
line from usual to whacked?  Should he be allowed
to treat me that way because he had no idea what
effect he had on other people?  Was it just a
matter of a subtle rewording that would fix the
transgression?  Had I just misinterpreted him?
How exactly could he have meant this as a
compliment?  What sort of compliment would that
be?  Did my mother really believe that he meant
that as a compliment?  Did she see his comment as
simple social awkwardness?  If it were just
awkwardness, and poor wording, was his in fact a
declaration of admiration?  And should I just
expect that of course if my father were my age,
any reasonable father would want to screw his
daughter because she was built like a brick
shit-house?  What indeed are the virtues of a
brick shit-house?  Should I have been proud to be
built like one?  Was there something special
about me that led my father to his exclamation
that if he were my age, boy, would he ever screw
me?  If there were something special about me
that elicited that desire in a man, even my
father, what might that special thing be, and how
would I temper it?  Was it possible to temper it,
so that I would be safe in my bed at night?

	In fact, I was not safe in my bed at
night.  Sometimes, I would get into bed, stretch
my feet out in between the sheets, and find that
I'd slid my legs over an object.  I'd fish this
object out and take a look, and it would be a
surprise: a sleazy magazine opened up to the
center fold, some two page spread of a woman
going at herself with a tool, like a wrench, her
legs flung out to the sides of the photograph,
her fish-net stockings hoisted up and kept at her
thighs by a garter belt.  And there would be a
translucent white smear of a dried liquid spread
out over her.  I honestly can't remember what I
did with those magazines.

	Once, I came home from a date, and had
brought my companion in to the kitchen to make
him a cup of tea.  When I got to the island near
the stove with the bar stools stationed around
it, there was a similar magazine, opened up to
the center spread, facing out to me  --  another
wench with a wrench, and another squirt of dried
jism on the page.  Without letting it register, I
shut it quickly and pushed it to the side.  It
was as if it had never existed, I put it out of
my mind that fast.

	It took me decades to decode the
incident.  First, was to remember what had
happened.  I'd come home to find a pornographic
magazine opened up on the kitchen island.  It had
to have been put there.  In order for my father
to have spread his teaspoon of semen out on the
pages, it would have had to have been lower than
the island.  Unless, of course, he was standing
on a chair.  So he had to have had his
interaction with the magazine and the lady in the
center, someplace else, and then carried it into
the kitchen and opened it up for me to see when I
brought my date home.  This implies some
planning, some malice aforethought.  He didn't
just use the magazine for his periodic thrill and
then forget to remove it.  Jacking off in the
kitchen would have been a risky operation.
People walk through there.  It's a hub of
activity.

	It took me over two decades to reason
this out so that I got the event into
perspective.  He bought his hard core magazine,
did his business on it in secret, then trotted it
downstairs to the kitchen table after everyone
had gone to bed, so it would be waiting for me
and my date when I arrived home.  Doesn't that
remind you of a dog marking his territory with
his urine?

	I can tell these stories and piece them
together as I have done, because I lived there; I
knew the players involved.  Someone from outside
the family would never have believed me.  What?
That sweet eccentric mad scientist who's always
so willing to do anyone a favour?  You must be
out of your mind!

	And the thing was, I was.

                                   ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ‰ˆˆ
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net