TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 59

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Nov 14 08:51:21 PST 2006

November 14, 2000000006

Dearest Clan,

	You will tell me if this is getting boring, won't you?  I
keep thinking I've gotten it all out of my system, and there's
nothing more to write.  Then several things come to my mind and I'm
off and writing again.  I write in waiting rooms.  I write in bed.  I
write sitting, waiting for a prescription at the pharmacy.  I write
at concerts.  I write waiting for my shrink to call me in.  I write
while Meyshe is having his session with his shrink.  And while Feyna
is in seeing hers.  I write in coffee houses (not *Bucks, but Peet's)
In fact, I routinely show up half an hour early for dentists,
doctors, shrinks, my divorce support group, just so I can get some
writing done.  I haven't yet touched on many eras of my life, and I
guess I'll get around to it.  I just don't want to alarm anyone.
I've made some big mistakes, embarrassing mistakes.  You've read
about some of them, and no one wrote to me to tell me I was an idiot.
Maybe you're all too nice.  Or maybe we're all idiots.  That's my
vote.  With a nod to Nancylee@, I vote that we're all idiots.

Another idiotic mistake.

rrrr77rrrr77rrrr77rrrr77rrrr77rrrr77rrrr77rrrr77rrrr77rrrr77rrrr

Romance takes a nose dive

	The place to meet men is at art gallery openings.  I'd heard
this many times.  Supposedly, while you are standing in front of some
incomprehensible piece of art by a new incomprehensible artist, an
eligible, decent, intelligent, cultured man will be standing next to
you.  You will strike up a conversation about the meaning of the
piece and its place in art history, and then you'll be off.  You
trade phone numbers, meet over coffee, get to know each other, and
pretty soon, you're an item.  He lives off his formidable investments
and has a Ph.D. from U.C. Berkeley in anthropology.  He hobnobs with
artists, writers of published books, movers and shakers.  He gets
invited to all the important events.  You fall in love, get to know
his crowd.  His crowd loves you, takes great interest in your talent.
Pretty soon, you're publishing your works because of all the
connections, and galleries are showing your work because of all the
connections, and your music is being discussed in upper circles,
again, because of those undeniable connections, and you're on your
way.  That's how it happens, folks.  A sure thing is gallery
openings.  There's wine and there are hors d'oeuvres, and high class
chatter.  What's to lose?

	I met Glenn Watson at a gallery opening in Oakland, of all
places.  Oakland is not associated with grand art galleries, but here
was this opening, and I went to it.  In fact, I went with Harry Lum,
my former paramour artist.  He'd come up from San Diego for a stay in
Berkeley, and we usually got together when he was in town.  I was
wandering through the gallery with a glass of wine in my paw, looking
at the artwork, all dressed up and impressive.  Those were my wild
clothes horse days.  I wore long skirts with floral patterns on them,
probably a white kurta covered with about five layers of Asian
jackets, most heavily embroidered.  Rings on every finger, velvet
Chinese shoes with embroidery all across the toes, and Harry's
Borsalino that he'd given me.  I was quite a sight.

	An unknown man introduced himself to me.  He said he hadn't
seen me before at openings.  And I told him that I didn't usually go
to openings in Oakland, because it was, you know, bad for the image.
This set off a round of repartee that he was perfectly capable of
keeping up with, something unusual.  I was used to being the only one
cracking the sly jokes.  The banter was very attractive.  He was a
handsome man, on the lean side, with thick white hair and a dancer's
sense of body.  He gestured with his hands, and his face was mobile,
expressive.  His eyes were an intense blue.  We flirted wildly
without regard to the art work.  He said he was an artist who lived
in his studio and showed at local galleries.  I told him he should
take himself up to his room to see his own etchings.  He laughed at
every single joke I cracked.  And that made me crack more.  He asked
for my phone number and I gave it to him.  He said he would call me
soon.  Very soon.

	At the time, I was living in Richmond Annex, in a craftsman
style house I'd bought for $22,500 in 1972.  I went home to that
house and thought about Mr. Watson for the better part of the next
week, and then the next.  It had seemed like such a sure thing.  Why
didn't he call?  Why do people not call when they've made it clear
they will?  This is something I've never understood.  I tell my
children that I will do what I say I will, and that my word is gold.
They are growing up this way, and take their promises seriously.  I
have seen every sort of promise broken, every vow ignored, every
treaty violated.  And Glenn Watson was just another one of them.
Then, at the end of the second week, he called.  I should have known
before I agreed to see him that it was  not going to work out.  I
should have known before I answered the phone.  But I was so
desperate for attention, for male attention, that I said yes to
meeting him, yes, even though he had broken a promise before it all
began.  Does this make the woman a fool, or a romantic, or just mark
her for having a forgiving nature?

	He wanted me to come to his loft to see his artwork.  I was
truly interested in seeing it.  I am always interested in seeing the
artwork.  He told me where he lived and what time to show up and he
would meet me at the door.  He explained that he had no doorbell, and
he lived up a long flight of stairs and in the back where knocking on
the front door would not be heard.  Why did this not alert me to some
strangeness?  Or was I just allowing of eccentricity?  What does it
mean when you have no doorbell, and must arrange for people to meet
you at your door at a specific time?  I came precisely at 7:30 on a
Sunday night.  He came down his stairs and met me at the door at
precisely 7:40.  And what did that mean?  And why did I wait?  I
waited because his watch may have been running slow, or maybe I
waited because I thought it was possible that I'd misheard the time.
Or maybe I waited because I had a forgiving nature.  He led me up the
stairs and into his loft.  It was meant to be a studio apartment, but
he'd built an elevated bedroom above the storage area for his
artwork.  You had to climb a steep ladder to get there.  And I did.

	It was crazy to bed down on a first date, but we were both
smitten.  The next time, he came to my house.  When he arrived, I was
in the middle of a decorating binge.  I was squatting on the floor
with hammer and nails.  I let him in and he said I should go about my
business as if he weren't there.  He wanted to watch me live for a
while.  I shrugged my shoulders and proceeded with my project which
was nailing a pair of shoes to the wall.  They were some of those
Chinese Mary Janes, velvet and black, with the embroidery on the
toes.  We got out a pile of paper and wrote poetry all night.  I'd
write a line; then he'd write a line.  Then we'd trade stanzas.  This
was heady stuff.  I fell for him, landed on my head.  There was no
talking to me about any warning signs.  The relationship continued
with my driving over to his place with a bottle of good wine, and him
meeting me at the door with a corkscrew.  We would drink the wine and
then ascend the ladder to his bed.  Then he'd come to my house and
we'd write poetry, or sing together and then make love on my fold out
couch.

	There were never any of his friends for me to meet, and we
never went out.  He was poor.  So was I, but I paid for all the
bottles of good wine.  When my birthday came around, I made a
reservation at my favourite Chinese restaurant, invited five of my
closer friends and invited Glenn Watson.  We all assembled at the
restaurant, but he was late.  Then he was very late.  Then he was
half an hour late, and we started without him.  But my mind was on
him, chasing his image.  Where was he?  Should I be insulted, angry
or worried?  He never showed up.  And he didn't call the next day,
nor the next.  Finally, I called him.  He sounded terrible, weak and
dulled, numb and beaten.  He told me he was glad I'd called.  I
should come over.  He would let me in and tell me what had happened.

	When I got there I could see that something was indeed wrong.
He had four days growth of beard on him, his eyes were bloodshot and
he was visibly shaking.  His surroundings were unkempt and his hair
uncombed.  He told me that he didn't show up because he'd had a very
bad anxiety attack.

	"Why?"

	"I'm an agoraphobic.  You know what that means?  I couldn't
face meeting people.  I broke down.  I couldn't come."

	"Well, you could have called to say you weren't coming.  And
if you couldn't have managed that, you could have called the
restaurant and had a message delivered, and if you couldn't have done
even that you could have called the next day to tell me what had
happened."

	"Sorry."

	What a cheap word is, "sorry".  And did I make my exit then?
No.  I listened to his explanation of how he timed his trips to the
store for 2:30, a.m., when no one else would be around, how he
couldn't stand being around people, in public.   He just broke out
into a sweat and shivered.  I tended to  him as I would have tended
to an ailing cat.  I favoured him, and brushed back his hair, and
then of course, we ascended his ladder.

	Things devolved from there.  We achieved a circling pattern.
I would show up with a bottle of wine.  We would drink it, and then
make love.  Then he'd kick me out.  No overnights, thank you ma'am.
And when that was established as our pattern, he began to beg me for
oral sex.  No, not just oral sex.  I had to be willing to have him
come in my mouth.

	"No."

	"Please.  Men need this.  You don't understand because you're a woman."

	"Don't tell me that men need this.  Be brave.  Say that you
need this.  And, no, I won't."

	"If you loved me you'd do it."

	"If you loved me, you wouldn't be pressuring me."

	It went on like that.  Soon we had no sex at all unless it
was felatio.  I serviced him, but removed my mouth before he
climaxed.  He begged more.  He needed to come in my mouth.  I finally
relented.  It was a revolting taste, and a disgusting experience.  It
was all wrong.  Everyone was facing the wrong direction.  I spit him
out onto the sheets and ran into the bathroom to wash out my mouth.
A salty, pungent, soapy taste.

	Then he started asking that I swallow it.  This is when I
backed out.  What would be next?  I had to let him come in my mouth,
I had to swallow it, and like it?  I left his loft and his place in
my heart.  I had watched a passionate poetic love affair turn into a
sick fixation, a rote downing of bottles of wine and sex in the
elevated bed.  There was nothing left.

	Half a year later, he wrote to me, and in his letter he asked
himself why he had let me go, why had he pushed me away?  I was the
best thing ever to happen to him.  But by that time, I had met my
third husband, and I was ignoring new omens.  The more things change,
the more they stay the same.

rrrr77rrrr77rrrr77rrrr77rrrr77rrrr77rrrr77rrrr77rrrr77rrrr77rrrr
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net