TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 58

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Nov 13 07:56:23 PST 2006

November 13, 20000000000006

Dear Everyoneofyou,

	Today is my little brother's birthday.
He is 52.  What a kid.  I should post a
photograph of him gurning on the Banyan Tree
site, but I don't know how.  You'd all love it.
He's showing his bottom row of teeth, and it's a
close-up so you can see every one of his nose
hairs.  He'd approve by the way.  We used to
stand in front of mirrors gurning, and sometimes
make faces at each other from across the table at
family functions.  If you look at pictures of me
at the same age as pictures of him, we look very
much alike.  That becomes dramatic when we're
making faces.  So today, I go to the electronic
postcards sites and send him four or five
ridiculous cards for his enjoyment.  Sympathy
cards, missing you cards, congratulations on the
new baby cards, happy birthday grandma cards,
love you passionately cards.  It's always
edifying.  This year, I am stuck on what to get
him for his birthday.  I am completely stumped.
Usually, I've got a pretty good idea, but not
now.  I don't even know remotely.  So where will
I go to shop?  I thought of wrapping up a print
out of these stories, but then, that's more like
a curse than a present.  I'll figure it out.

	Figure this out.

                                             ‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

Tiny penis

	When my parents went out for the evening
at first, it was baby sitters, but after Dana got
to be thirteen or so, they left us to watch over
each other.  That's easier said than done.  The
dynamics were such that if there were no
controls, Dana might have beat the living
daylights out of Daniel and me, and we would have
teased each other to tears.  Nothing would have
gotten done, and the house would have been in
disarray when our parents returned.  So, to keep
order, my mother's clever plan was to assign
responsibilities for each of us.  Dana would
report on Tobie.  Tobie would report on Daniel
and Daniel would report on Dana.  She'd switch
these configurations around so that debts and
revenges would not develop.  Everyone,
eventually, got reported on and reported on
everyone else.  It worked wonders.  When anyone
stepped out of line, another would declare it a
reportable offense, and the transgression would
stop in its tracks.

	Mom would leave T.V. dinners for us, or
frozen chicken pot pies, and we'd prepare our
dinner ourselves.  Then after a fashion we'd
clean up, and the rest of the evening was a free
for all until bed time, which was never defined
very well.  When it was time for Daniel to go to
sleep, he would always start out in my parents'
bed, on my mother's side.  Dana would claim to be
in charge and would virtually sit on his chest
until he lay still and promised to sleep.  But
then he'd get up after she'd left the room, and
turn on the television.  She'd been listening at
the door for any small infraction and she'd run
back in, and leap on his chest all over again.
This cycle could go on for a while, and he'd beg
to have me put him to bed.  When Dana got tired
of monitoring him in the leap and sit fashion,
she'd finally hand him over to me.  I'd go in
there and tell him a story or let him watch
television for ten minutes on the promise that
he'd go to sleep right afterwards, and that
always worked.

	One evening, he called me in and he had a
worried look on his face.  There was even some
embarrassment on it.  He pulled back the covers
and showed me how his little tiny penis was
standing up straight and it was hardened.  He
didn't know what this was, and neither did I.  So
we tried to push it down.  I pressed it down
against his groin, and it just stood right back
up.  I tried again.  It sprang up again.  So I
tried holding it down for a longer period of
time.  Daniel's look of worry did not leave his
face.  What was wrong with his penis?  What we
were doing was more than innocent, it was
clueless.  No matter what we did, whether he held
it down, or I did, the little thing kept popping
back up, and eventually we had to agree that it
was doing him no harm, no matter what it was, and
our efforts to subdue it were ineffective.  So we
gave up.

	It was years before I figured out what it
was.  And at that point, I'm sure it had other
ideas to which I was not privy.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA