TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 56

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Nov 11 10:02:29 PST 2006

November 11, 20000000000000000000000006

Dear To You,

	It is Saturday morning, and I let myself
sleep in.  Good on me.   I usually don't allow
myself the luxury.  But today is Shabbos, and on
Shabbos, many ordinary things come to a stand
still.  I don't open mail.  It would just upset
me, and I couldn't do anything about it until
Monday anyway.  I don't work.  The day is
reserved for family and love.  I push away all
worries.  They can wait.  If anyone starts
talking politics, I have the option of saying,
"Not on Shabbos".  But I will drive the car, and
I will answer the phone, and I will turn on
lights, light fires, sit at the computer, and I
will exchange money for goods.  It's a personal
interpretation of Shabbos.  It suits us.

	The difference in our lives has been
enormous.  One day out of the week that we get to
relax and not scurry around, beholden to the
habits of the other six days.  One day a week in
which work is forbidden.  You ought to try it.
And it doesn't mean you're Jewish either.  Pick a
weekday, or pick Sunday.  Pick any day, but the
whole day, 24 hours of rest and peace, no
errands, no filling in with the errands that have
mounted up during the week.  It is a balm on your
house.  We've done this now for about four or
five years.  We don't intend to stop.  Oh, and I
forgot:  no homework.  No exceptions.  If you
make exceptions, it all falls apart.  Say that
God told you to do it.  That is the authority
necessary for such a habit breaking act.  It
takes discipline, too.  You'll find yourself
working, or twiddling your thumbs, wondering what
to do, or wanting to leap in the car and go do
that trip to OSH or Costco that you hadn't
managed during the week.  But don't give in.
You'll be glad.  If you can manage it without
God's edict, then do that.  It doesn't have to be
religious.  Just religiously observed.

	I observed this.

                                            ßß߶ßß߶ßß߶ßß߶ßß߶ßß߶ßß߶ßßß

Dying in Red Bluff

	My brother, Daniel, and I have been
pretty close.  When I was still at home, we
protected each other from our older sister, Dana,
who wasn't averse to violence, and pretty much
ruled the roost along with my father, the operant
system being: whoever behaves the worst, writes
the rules.  Daniel didn't know it, but he also
protected me from my father.  When Daniel was in
my room, I didn't have to be afraid that my
father would come in at night and do whatever he
felt like doing.   Nothing or something, just my
father's presence was blood curdling. So, lots of
times, Daniel would be invited to go to sleep in
my guest bed.  There were two studio couches,
arranged in an L, with the two heads at the
juncture.  He would come in and we'd talk and
laugh, take turns tickling the soles of each
others' feet.  I taught him how to laugh into his
pillow so we wouldn't get in trouble with my
mother for staying up too late.  And I taught him
how, if a parent (or a sister who would snitch)
came up the stairs or passed by the door, if we
were in mid air, we should return to a sleeping
position slowly so it didn't look like we were
dashing back to the pillow suddenly.  We taught
each other many things.

	Much of what Daniel and I talked about
were Justin stories  --  those bizarre behaviours
that he exhibited on a regular basis that kept us
guessing as to his sanity.  And of course we
always wondered about the possible motivation for
his behaviour.  He was hard to figure out because
he was so perverted, so twisted, so sadistic, so
narcissistic.

	He treated Daniel differently than he
treated me, of course, and he treated my sister
differently than he treated either Daniel or me.
Daniel, he treated like an apprentice.  He'd walk
him around the house with his arm thrown
conspiratorially around my brother's shoulder,
and he'd give him a tour.  "See Daniel, that's
your sister, Tobie," he'd advise, standing at the
other side of the dining room table from where I
was having my hard time with schoolwork.  "She's
crying because she hasn't done her homework until
the last minute.  When you get homework, you do
it in time.  You be the man.  Let her be the
baby."  Daniel would cringe dumbly under our
father's arm.  What do you do with a lesson like
that?  Daniel reported that at the age when he
began to figure out what masturbation was, he'd
lock himself in his room and do what needed to be
done, but he'd sense that something or someone
was out in the hallway at the keyhole.  He'd get
up, go to the door quickly to peer out the
keyhole.  Then he'd see our father walking away,
tucking in his pants.

	My sister was never the object of sexual
abuse or innuendo, the leering, ogling and
commentary I suffered.  He treated her as if she
were Selma, his older sister, with whom he
competed and to whom he felt inferior.  Plus,
Dana would just go as far off the deep end as
Justin.  They'd have punching fests.  She was
dramatic, melodramatic even, and would shout her
epithets to his face, in stentorian tones.  "You
bastard!"  "How DARE you!"  Once, she knocked his
glasses off of his head, threw them down and
stomped on them.  Justin used to do what we
called, "windmilling", where he would get his
arms swinging in circles, one arm up, the other
down, and he'd walk through the room, aiming at
us, but especially at Dana.  He called her Selma
sometimes.  It was all rather primitive.

	So Daniel and I were comrades, and
confided in each other about all our innermost
secrets.  I'm seven years his senior, so the gap
was noticeable back then.  When I was sixteen, he
was nine.  In some ways, he put me on a pedestal.
He admired me and my artistic talents, which felt
good to me,  though I knew that when I finally
fell from grace, it would be a long hard fall.
But I was definitely the big sister, guiding him
as I could, trying to help him through the
disfiguration of our lives in the insane
household.  Being a guide for someone else helped
me put my own trauma in perspective.  Teaching is
the best teacher.

	He did grow up.  When I was about thirty,
and Daniel was about twenty three, we drove up to
Ashland, Oregon, for the Shakespeare festival.
We planned on staying a couple of days, seeing a
few plays, then driving back.  We were using
Daniel's little Datsun sports car.  It was a
convertible.  It was late late in the summer, the
hottest time of year.  California and Oregon were
burning.  We sweated through three plays and then
packed it in for the trip back home.  On the way
back, we had the top down and were travelling
down the middle of California.  We were passing
Redding which frequently boasts the highest
temperatures in the state.  It was 105 degrees,
Fahrenheit, (40 degrees Celsius).  The wind was
like a furnace.  I don't deal with heat well.  In
fact, that's an understatement.  I get heat
stroke.  Daniel drove past an exit to Red Bluff,
and then he drove past it again.  This is how it
seemed to me.  I was alarmed.  Something was out
of whack.  How could you drive past the same exit
twice?  I shouted over the noise of the road and
the wind.

	"That exit!  We just passed it!"

	"Yes."

	"No.  I mean we drove past it and then we
passed it again!"  Then all hell broke loose in
my head.  The heat fried up my brains, and served
them to me on a platter.  "We're driving in a big
circle in the middle of California.  I don't want
to die in Red Bluff!"

	My baby brother grew at once older and
responsible.  He steered off the freeway,
suddenly, taking the next exit, and drove into a
tiny little hamlet that was no more than a single
road with a gas station on one side and a
restaurant on the other, with a few houses set
along the street.  He screeched into the gas
station, stopping right outside the women's
restroom.  I felt ill.  I staggered out of the
car and pushed the ladies' room door open.
Ladies would never have entered or used this
restroom.  It was shockingly filthy, with
streamers of toilet paper stuck to puddles in the
floor, boot prints stamped into them.  I lurched
into the single stall and threw up violently,
then passed out on the floor.  When I woke up, I
didn't care that I was lying on a concrete floor,
strewn with toilet paper and garbage.  It just
didn't matter.  Nothing mattered.  Thoughts
swarmed in my head, disjointed non sequiturs
dropped down from one ganglion of synapses to
another.  I heard Daniel knocking on the door,
calling to me, asking if I was all right.

	I struggled to get up and stumbled out
the door into Daniel's arms.  He carried me
across the street into the only place with air
conditioning along the road.  It was a Chinese
restaurant.  It was Sunday at about four o'clock.
He kicked the door open and laid me out on the
first table he could find, closest to the front
door.  I lay there, half in and half out of
consciousness, trying my best to make sense of
the occasion.  The staff of the restaurant were
concerned, and brought cool water for me.  They
called the nearest hospital.  My brother called
our family medical advisor which was my mother.
She said to give me sips of water and keep me
prone.  That is what the nurses at the hospital
told the staff, too.  They also told us to keep
me inside until after sundown.  So I lay there on
the front table, gaining some perspective, coming
out of my coma, taking a look around me.

	My brother had grown up and been my
guardian and saviour.  Gratitude welled up inside
me.  Had I trained him that well?  It being
Sunday at four o'clock, p.m., people started
coming into the restaurant for early Sunday
dinner.  For some reason, my sense of humour had
not been decapitated.  I opened my mouth and
warned the nice people, "Don't order number two
from column A".

                                            ßß߶ßß߶ßß߶ßß߶ßß߶ßß߶ßß߶ßßß
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro