TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 54

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu Nov 9 15:30:38 PST 2006

November 9, 200006

Dear Folks,

	I shall say nothing about the elections
in the U.S.  There.  I said nothing.  I'm
tempted, but I won't.  Last night I dreampt that
my cat got out and ran off into the woods where
there were all sorts of wild animals.  It was my
father who let her out.  He used to do things
like that with my cats.  It was hard for me not
to think he did it on purpose.  But it's possible
that he was just absent and clueless.  Still, he
enjoyed the trauma I went through when he pulled
stuff off like that.  You may have gathered that
my father was a major negative figure in my life.
And my mother is the angel of light.  It's not as
simple as that, of course, but if you were in any
frame of mind to boil things down, that's how
you'd have to boil them.  That would be boiling a
long time until you had just the last bits of
essence left in the bottom of the pot.

	Do you get any sense of cohesion to my
life from all of this scattered unsequential
telling?

	Another unsequential telling.

                          ŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸ

Playing on a Cheesebox

	The first cello I owned was made of
plywood.  It was one of those execrable
instruments stamped from a form and glued
together with enough spit and Elmer's to make a
go of it.  We were not rich and it didn't make
sense spending much more than this for a young
hopeful musician who might stick with it, and
might just give up and watch television instead.
But by the time I'd been playing for five years,
and had joined orchestras, played chamber music
and lived and breathed classical music for all of
those years, it seemed like a good idea to buy me
something a bit more serious.  Not a
Stradivarius, not thousands and thousands, but
just something more serviceable than shit.  My
teacher recommended it.  She said only I could
get a good sound out of the cello I had, and
there was just so much even I could do.  She was
fond of me, and knew my talent.  I was ecstatic.
I couldn't wait to play on a real instrument.

	The idea came up at the dinner table and
my mother thought it a good one.  Keep our eyes
out for a good cello.  Maybe my teacher would
come across one.  She had her finger on the
pulse.  There was a hitch in the plan, though.
My father gave a speech arguing that there was no
such thing as a good instrument or a bad one.  If
you were a good musician you could play well on a
cheese box.  Of course, it wasn't the case that
he actually believed this.  He played on his 17th
century violin made by an Italian violin maker
named Amatius Albanis.  He was not about to throw
his violin into a dumpster and go off to get a
cheese box, even if it were from a big wheel of
high class brie.  With the facts so obvious, it
was wretched having to present arguments to the
contrary.  But it didn't matter, because there
were no arguments that made any difference.  It
wasn't just idle conversation either.  The fact
that there were no good or bad instruments meant
that he was vetoing my getting a good cello.

	"Why would he do this?" I asked my
mother, in tears.  "I need a new cello.  The one
I'm playing is terrible."

	She told me not to worry.  We would win
him over.  This just sounded hopeless.  How could
you win over a crazy person on a mission?  What
was the mission, anyway?  To further my
burgeoning career as a cellist?  To stop me in my
tracks?  To amuse himself at my expense?  I
pondered all that and worse while the debate flew
around our heads, and a new cello was impossible
until there was agreement.  The reasons for no
new cello also changed occasionally.  While it
was supposed to be true that there was no such
thing as a good cello or a bad cello, it was also
true that we could not waste that money.  A few
hundred dollars was a huge investment, and we
didn't have the money to spare.  We had to have a
set of priorities.  And to demonstrate to me what
the priorities were, my father went out and
bought himself a new car.  Just walked into the
showroom and bought whatever colour they had.  He
showed off his new car to the family, and I
stewed in resentment.  Then he went off and
bought my mother an electric meat slicer, a
machine that could cut salami so thin you could
see through it, a machine she didn't even want,
and told him so.  But, this was the best machine
on the market, and he spouted that to the family.
So there was such a thing as a good meat slicer,
just not a good cello.

	The veto went on for two years, and
several times, my teacher, Ruth Saphir, said
she'd found a cello for me.  And several times I
had to tell her that we couldn't buy it.  "Why
not?" she asked me.  And I didn't know what to
say.  What reason was I to give without giving
away an ugly family secret?

	My father had a couple of birthdays
during this time.  For the second birthday, I
went out and got a cheese box.  A real one.  And
I fashioned a musical instrument out of it.  Sort
of like a violin.  Sort of like a harp.  The
strings were rubber bands.  I presented it to
him, but he didn't seem to get the joke.  He just
said thank you, and set it aside.  How
unsatisfying.  Sarcasm like that deserves an
answer.

	Finally, after the second year of this
nonsense, my mother relented and ditched the plan
to convince my father.  We went forth and got me
a cello.  I brought it home and practiced with
renewed interest.  My father complimented me on
the new cello, and said that he always knew I had
it in me.  I deserved to be playing on a better
instrument than the one I'd had.  He was glad to
do it for me.

	Where was my gratitude?

                          ŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸ
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net