TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 53

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Nov 8 08:53:22 PST 2006

November 8, 20000000006

Dear Voters,

	We didn't listen to election returns as
they came in.  Why bother?  It makes it into a
sport where you're rooting for this or that team,
and it gets the bile up, just makes you nervous
and stressed out.  So we watched a movie instead.
As it turned out, a depressing movie, except at
the very end when the protagonist finally smiles
a little.  Well, I rented three movies and one of
them is bound to be uplifting.  I try not to get
depressing movies, because I don't need any more
of that.

	More of something else.

                                   §§ƒ§§ƒ§§ƒ§§ƒ§§ƒ§§ƒ§§ƒ§§ƒ§§ƒ§§ƒ§§ƒ§§ƒ§§ƒ§§ƒ§§

	Thomas Haynes was the conductor for three
orchestras in which I played.  There was the
Young Peoples' Symphony Orchestra, the Berkeley
High School Concert Orchestra, and the Berkeley
High School Baroque Orchestra.  See what happens
to a school system when you throw enough money at
it?  You get the arts.

	I had a daddy crush on Mr. Haynes.  I
wanted him to be my daddy.  So much better than
the one I was born with.  I fantasized a lot
about what kind of a real father I'd like to
have.  He would be kind and funny, and
knowledgeable, and humble.  He'd have a touch of
sentimentality and he'd be glad for the good
things that happened to me.  I saw that in Thomas
Haynes, and that's why I idolized him.  Maybe it
was just by comparison to what I had at home for
a father.  There were plenty of kids who didn't
like Tom Haynes.  But that didn't matter to me.

	Then there was his son, Bruce.  Bruce was
a beatnik type, only he didn't go in for wearing
all black and smoking cigarettes to a progressive
Jazz background.  He played the oboe,
beautifully, and he played the recorder, not,
"toot toot", but professionally.  He was steeped
in early music, and the recorder was the
instrument used.  The oboe was a more recent
development.

	I don't know when it was that I was
introduced to Bruce Haynes, but somewhere along
the line I got a powerful crush on him.  I
dreamed of him day and night.  This was not a
daddy crush.  This was the full. embarrassing
red-in-the-face-when-he-walks-by crush.  The
weak-in-the-knees crush, the
pitter-pattering-heart-throb crush.  I worshipped
him.  At the time I was sixteen, he was twenty
two, and he was going off to the Netherlands to
study recorder with Hans Brueggen, the foremost
recorder player in the world.  Ah, before he left
for Amsterdam, I shook myself.  Should I tell him
how I feel?  Or should I shut up and remain
anonymous?

	I consulted a mutual friend, Krehe
Ritter, who was a french hornist with the Oakland
Symphony.   Krehe was a perfectly normal
adolescent at age thirty three.  He fit in nicely
with the rest of my musical friends in high
school, and he even had a crush of his own on
Becky Warrick, an excellent flutist.  Krehe used
to keep his eye on Bruce Haynes for me, while I
kept my eye on Becky Warrick for him.  We'd
exchange our observations, and our surmisals of
the chances we had with our crushes.  At the
time, it didn't seem odd that a thirty three year
old man had a secret crush on a sixteen year old
girl, but now it does.  This was something that a
thirty three year old should have grappled with.
What do you do when you've fallen for a child?
What's wrong with this?

	As the date for Bruce's departure for
Amsterdam grew nearer, I grew more desperate to
decide on some statement, or no statement to
Bruce.  I twisted and turned at night.  I begged
Krehe to tell me what he thought my chances were.
Then one day, I got a letter in the mail box from
Bruce Haynes.  My heart stopped, then started
again.  I stopped breathing, then began to
breathe again.  I opened it.  It said:

	"Dear Tobie,
		How is it that one can think one knows someone ostensibly
	without knowing really what is in each others' hearts . . . "

	I gasped.  I didn't know what to do with this.

	"To me, you are like a flower, a dark
flower, like a rose bud, as yet unopened
	to the sun . . . "

	Oh be still, my heart!

	"But I am going to Amsterdam, and there
is nothing that we can do or say
	to prevent that.  I will write to you
from Amsterdam, and I would be happy
	if you would write to me.  Perhaps, we
can get to know one another.  Perhaps
	in time . . . "

	I called Krehe Ritter, but I didn't get
far.  He was recounting to me the conversation
he'd had with Bruce Haynes.  He said he'd asked
Bruce what he thought of Becky Warrick, and Bruce
had said, and I quote, "Becky is to me, like a
flower, a dark flower like a rose bud, as yet
unopened to the sun . . . "  I forgot all about
reading Krehe the letter.  I crawled off to my
room and set up an empty wine bottle and stuck a
candle, guaranteed to drip, in the mouth.
Remember when restaurants had bulbous Italian red
wine bottles with colourful candles set in their
mouths and the wax built up in cascades down the
neck and the body of the bottle?  This is what I
set up in my room.  Every night that Bruce Haynes
was gone I lit the candle.  I called it my
Amsterdam candle.  And while I lit these candles,
I waited for letters from Bruce.  When that rare
letter would come, I would read it ravenously,
then analyze every word for possible double
meanings and significance.  I'd immediately send
off a letter to him, maybe ironing parrafin wax
onto the paper after I'd written on it.
Something exotic.  Something unique.  Something
he couldn't forget.

	Every night I lit the candle.  And the
used matches piled up around the base of the wine
bottle.  So I gathered them up and put them in an
envelope.  Then I started to number the matches,
and write the dates on them.  Just to keep track
of these sacred matches.  I gathered up the
numbered matches, and, keeping them in order,
sealed them inside envelopes which I labelled on
the outside with, "matches number 22-54", with
the dates.  Then I stored the envelopes in a safe
place.  The envelopes piled up, and I put them in
bunches, which I labelled accurately.  This
qualifies neatly for Obsessive/Compulsive
Disorder.  But it was a religion, and religious
ritual is immune to such diagnoses.  Otherwise,
we'd label most religions as disorders and take
medications to cure ourselves.

	Months went by, and then Bruce came home
for a spell.  I was invited over for a musical
occasion.  We circled each other, spying from a
distance, as if we'd not had a special
relationship at all.  We conversed awkwardly, and
soon he went back to Amsterdam to study.  The
crush petered out with time and events that
changed us.  I grew up and left home for Seattle.
I had other worries.  And crushes became outmoded
childish things, like pranks we play on ourselves
while we could just as soon risk it, and get to
know someone really, see whether it lifts off the
ground or slinks into disrepute.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA