TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 52

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Nov 7 08:39:26 PST 2006

November 7, 20000000006

Dear You Voters,

	Yesterday, my mother and I went over our
ballots.  The California ballot is huge this
year.  Propositions up the hoo ha.  We pored over
them.  I say, "pored", because I got it wrong
last time I pored over something.  I, "poured".
That was incorrect.  Now it's correct, "pored".
So my mother and I pored over our ballots and
read all the initiatives and the statements from
candidates, read the arguments for and rebuttals
against "for", then read the arguments against
and the rebuttals against "against".  We marked
our sample ballots and, exhausted, geared up to
do it all over again with my twins after dinner.
And so we did.  To my kids' credit, they want to
go over the measures and read the arguments,
study the endorsers, not just listen to what my
mother and I say is what we're doing and then
parrot us.  So we were up late, discussing what
to do about sneaky initiatives that say they are
doing one thing, when in actuality, they are
doing the opposite.  And we say, "There has to be
a better way!"

	This morning, after Meyshe's taxi whisks
him away to school, Feyna and I will trudge over
to the voting place and cast our votes.  Later,
when Meyshe returns from school, I'll take him to
the voting booth and help him cast his ballot.
He is very careful about voting.  He is quite
concerned about each issue, and knows that he is
easily taken in by propaganda.  So we help him
sort it all out.  By tomorrow, we'll be reading
about the results and there may be big changes in
my country.  I hope so.  I want personally to
apologize for the president of my country. (He's
not going to apologize, so somebody has to.)  I'm
sorry for the things he does and says, and I wish
I could correct his pronunciation and grammar,
maybe smart him up a bit, but that's impossible.

	Generally, I avoid watching the endless
election returns on the television.  It all winds
up the way it's going to, and there's no use
getting the bile up, making myself nervous.  I
know that many of the things I vote for will not
win, and many of the candidates I vote for will
lose.  That's the way it always is when you're
out at the end of the bell curve.  But the
important thing is to vote.  And that's what
we'll do.

                                     µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ

1968 Hopkins Street

	When we moved back west from Maryland, we
stayed with my grandparents at first.  This was
maybe for a month, while my parents looked for
temporary housing that we could inhabit while
looking for a house to buy.  The house my parents
found was at 1968 Hopkins Street in Berkeley.  We
lived there for six months.  My sister and I
would be going to Oxford Elementary School, just
up the pathway across the street.  I was in the
fourth grade, and my teacher was Mr. Whitenack.
Mr. Whitenack was of very kindly disposition, and
was gentle with us when he drilled the
multiplication tables into our wee heads.  I
liked the sevens.  "Seven times seven is 49", in
particular.  Mr. Whitenack had deep scars all
over his face from acne when he was young.  My
mother took great pity for him, because she
suffered from acne, too.  She says it altered her
whole life.  She still thinks that's all people
see when they look at her, acne scars, but of
course it's not true in the slightest.  Back in
her childhood, they treated acne with radiation,
and she got a lot of radiation which didn't help
the acne, but she does get little skin cancers on
her face.  We should watch out what we let
doctors do to us.  I shudder to think what will
wind up being thought of as barbaric and harmful
that we do now, routinely, to treat some
conditions.

	The house at 1968 Hopkins had a small
living room and three small bedrooms.  I must
have shared a room with my sister, though I don't
remember the precise configuration.  I was broken
up about moving to the west coast.  I missed my
friends in Maryland, my whole way of life,
everything I got used to and expected.  Now,
everything was new and I couldn't expect
anything.  I announced one evening at five
o'clock that I was going to walk back to
Maryland, and I stepped out the back door and
onto the sidewalk.  I imagine this must have
given my mother a small laugh, because she packed
me a sandwich and wished me well on my long
journey.  Even I knew it was stupid, but it was
the gesture that was important.  And I'd made the
gesture.  I just had to figure out a re-entry
strategy.  I walked half way up the street and
found a stray cat who was very friendly.
Extremely friendly to my sandwich, which I opened
up and shared.  There was an affection that
passed back and forth between the cat and me.
She rubbed up against my knees, as I sat cross
legged on the sidewalk with the open sandwich
from which I removed little chunks and fed it to
her.  Then when she was full, she lay down next
to me and relaxed, stretching and cleaning
herself.  The sun began to set.  So it was
obvious that I wasn't going to get to Maryland
before dark.  I turned around and went home.  My
mother didn't say a word, not to ask me a single
question.  I was grateful.

	The house on Hopkins had heating vents
that sat in the floor and through which the
central heating pumped.  They got very hot.  We
knew not to go near them.  Once, Daniel left a
plastic horse on one of the vents and it melted
on one side, so that it looked like a demented
convex waffle.  That was a warning.  But Daniel
also stood on the vent in his bare little feet,
and that burned the soles of his feet into a
cross hatch pattern.  He had to go to the doctor.
Nowadays, someone would be getting sued.  But
then, we just gave him aspirin and salve and
bundled up his feet, watched him more carefully,
felt bad about it.

	My father's mother, Lena, had given Dana
and me a gift of special bath towels.  What she
did was to take a beach towel, fold it in half
and on the crease make an incision where our
heads could come through.  Then she sewed a hem
around the hole.  We'd wear these towels after a
bath.  They flopped around like ponchos.  My
sister and I took baths together.  Bubble baths.
She was braver than I was.  She'd apply the
clouds of foamy bubbles to her face to make it
look like she had a snowy white beard and
moustache.  I didn't want the bubbles near my
eyes, but I would smear the clouds over my arms
and on top of my head.  When we got out of the
tub, we put on Grama Lena's beach towel bathrobes
and went running around the house until we were
dry.  Then we'd change into our pajamas and go to
bed.  One night, I was sitting on my bed in my
beach towel bathrobe when my father came in and
told me I had to practice the cello.  This was
all right with me.  I wanted to change into my
pajamas first, though.

	"No," he ordered, "You have to practice now."

	This was unreal.  I was never asked to
practice, mostly because I would do it of my own
accord.  But here he was commanding me to do
something that I was perfectly willing to do.  I
told him I wanted to get into my pajamas first,
and then I'd be glad to practice.

	"No," he barked, angry at me, enraged,
over something I was willing to do.  There was no
problem here, and it confused me that he was so
furious when I wasn't disobeying.  I thought of
how exposed I was in the beach towel bathrobe.  I
was naked underneath, and I did have an inkling
of what modesty was.

	"Please let me put on my pajamas.  Then I'll practice."

	"You'll practice now!" he hollered, and
then grabbed me by the shoulder and yanked me off
of my bed.  He squeezed my shoulder and pulled me
into the living room.  I resisted, shrinking from
him and begging to be allowed to put some clothes
on.  He had that weird expression on his face,
the one he got when he was exacting a cruelty.
He would grind his teeth and you could discern a
grim smile.  His eyes glassed over.  His face
turned red.  The veins in his neck stood out in
all their blue glory.  He was enjoying this.  He
threw me onto a chair, my beach towel flying in
all directions, and he thrust my cello into my
hands.

	"Practice!" he snarled, smiling.

	I didn't want to put the cello between my
legs, because it left me exposed.  And I was
stunned by his illogical aggression.

	"Practice now!" he growled at me.  "I'm
going to sit here and watch you practice, and I
won't leave until you're done!"

	I cried, and my tears fell onto the
fingerboard.  I tried to put both my legs under
the chair so I could hold the cello against my
belly and the beach towel would drape itself over
my groin.  But he objected to this immediately.

	"Hold the cello as it's supposed to be
held!"  he screamed, and he handed me the neck of
the cello to hold while he pulled my legs apart
and replaced the cello between them.

	"Now practice!"

	I had no music in front of me, and I was
crying so hard I could barely make it through a C
major scale.  He sat in front of me but off to
the side somewhat so that my nakedness was fully
exposed to him.

	"Practice!" he yelled, a grimace of a smile on his face.

	I knew what he was staring at, and I
tried to put my legs together, but every time I
did, he threatened to come over and pull my legs
apart himself.  I played through a two octave C
major scale, and progressed to a G major scale.
Then a D major scale.  All the while, tears were
coursing down my cheeks and the humiliation of it
all tore me to shreds.  When I got to change into
my bedclothes and seek refuge underneath the
covers, I was shaking all over.  I could feel my
father's eyes penetrating my privacy.  I squirmed
in bed, the way you shudder when you remember
cutting yourself with a cleaver, that sudden
electric ribbon of fear that steals your breath
away.

	I told this story to Yvonne one time when
I was recounting instances of sexual abuse.  She
asked me, "Where was your mother while this was
going on?"  And I couldn't answer her.  It was a
small house.  She must have heard the wailing and
hollering.  I answered Yvonne with the question
she'd asked me:  "Where was my mother?"

                                     µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ¼µ
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net