TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 51

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Nov 6 08:34:07 PST 2006

November 6, 200000006

Dear Lovelies,

	I have this sinking feeling this morning.
I don't know where it comes from.  Some of my
moods come in waves, and I don't know what to do
with them.  They take over me and pull me around
by the ankle, then deposit me someplace else, far
far from where I started out, and they leave.
Then another mood takes over.  I write it off to
the pressures of the era.  What else?  Brain
chemistry is an odd thing.  Maybe a piece of
chocolate?  Or a good fat pill?  Gotta save my
life, don't I?

	And now this.

–¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥

How My Dog Saved My Life

	Our dog, Griffith, was a sweetheart.  Not
on the bright side, as dogs go, but of a gentle,
eager disposition.  Bedlington Terriers may not
have the famed Terrier smarts, but they have the
enthusiasm.  When Dweller or I came home after an
absence, Griffith would spin in circles, jump up
on the couch, jump down on the floor, jump up on
the couch, jump down on the floor, in circles,
with ecstatic leaps of unbridled joy.  And we'd
have to calm him down so that we could live with
him.  He was useless as a guard dog, not prone to
barking at dark intentioned strangers, not in the
least bit protective of us or our possessions.
He would have held a flashlight for a burglar.
But he did manage to save my life once.

	It was during the time that Dweller and I
needed extra money to make ends meet while he was
working on his master's thesis:  The Single
Channel Hypothesis in the Human Operator.  Big
stuff, essentially about how human beings can
only pay attention to one thing at a time, and
when we seem to be taking care of several
different things at once, it is really a series
of lightning quick switches from one task to
another to another.  We needed more monthly
income to finance us, and I resolutely went out
to find myself a job.  My first priority was that
I didn't want to work for my parents at
LABINDUSTRIES.  I wanted (how you say it?) a
"real" job.  I poured over the help wanted ads in
the Chronicle, first, looking for who needed a
talented cellist, writer, artist graphologist, or
clever young woman, then, not finding anything
like that, looking for whatever required no
experience.   And I couldn't find anything.

I was getting desperate when I came across a
sleazy little ad for dancers.  What caught my eye
was, "Topless not necessary".  The pay was
tremendous, $400 a week, which was big money in
those days.  And all I'd have to do would be
dance around on a stage for a couple hours a
night?  I was a musician.  I had a good sense of
rhythm, and all my arms and legs worked.  I
enjoyed dancing.  Why not give it a try?  Of
course, this was a chunk of delusion too big to
swallow, too big to spear on a fork, too big,
evidently, even to see in one sweep of the eyes.
It didn't occur to me that being a musician and
having a good sense of rhythm had nothing  to do
with what made a good night club dancer.  The
patrons could care less if you bumped and ground
in time to the music (which would have been
another problem for me.  I wouldn't have approved
of the music).  What the patrons cared about was
how much was showing and how the dancer showed it
off.  Would I have been able to dance in front of
total strangers?  No.  I could barely dance in
front of myself.  Would I have been able to
appear in the traditional native costume of the
night club dancer?  No.  I would have hidden in
the corner with a blanket thrown over me.

	But I didn't think of that.  I thought of
the $400 I'd be bringing in each week, and I
thought of the allure of not working for my
parents.  So I followed the instructions in the
ad and called the number to set up an interview.
I don't remember if I even told Dweller about it.
It's inconceivable that he wouldn't have voted
against this venture.  I WAS aware that I was
delving into enemy territory, that I might meet
an unsavory character or two.  So I brought
Griffith with me for protection.  Fat lot of
protection he'd provide, but the interviewer
didn't have to know that.  I put Griffith on a
thick leash to emphasize his fierceness, and I
drove to the headquarters which was the upper
flat of a Berkeley Victorian.  The whole place
was for show, and a show of bad taste, too.
There were thick white rugs, and white furniture,
a couch, a few overstuffed chairs, some swag
lamps, and a big imitation wood desk.  There was
a low down coffee table made of glass in front of
the couch.  There were no magazines or books on
the table.  It seemed that there was a phone on
every surface, which lent an air of importance
and officiality to the outfit.  Behind the desk,
sat a middle aged man with either windswept hair,
or a rug on his head.  He had an open shirt, a
hairy chest and a gold medallion hanging down on
a chain.  He welcomed me in, and motioned for me
to sit on the couch.  I did so.

	"Sit, Rex."  "Rex" didn't know sit.  He
knew plotz, but that wouldn't work here.  I was
handed a clipboard with a form to fill out.  It
asked for the usual: name, address, serial
number, age, but then went on to physical
statistics.  Measurements, colour hair, colour
eyes, height, weight.  Then there was the
"experience" part.  I was honest; I wrote in,
"None, but I can dance.  I'm a musician."  When
I'd filled out the form, I handed it back to the
man.  He didn't even glance at it.  He put it
down on the desk.

	"Okay," he said, "Take off your clothes."

	I was stunned.  "But the ad said, 'Topless not necessary'."

	"I don't care what the ad said, " he
growled, "I said,  'take off your clothes'".

	"No."

	"If you can't take off your clothes in
front of me, how are you going to take off your
clothes in front of a room full of people while
you're dancing?"

	"The ad said, 'Topless not necessary'!"

	"Take off your clothes!" he shouted at
me.  And there was something in his shouting
which alerted me to the fact that this man was
not just talking business.  He was threatening me.

	"Why don't you just take off your pants!"
I said back, not a good choice of words, because
it seemed that he was more than willing to do so.
He came out from behind the desk, undoing his
belt, with a mean smile on his face.  It was
obviously time to go.  To go immediately.  I
tugged at Griffith, and he stood up, but he
looked scared, hesitantly shifting his weight
from front paw to front paw.  By this time, the
creepy man had reached me and was about to grab
me when I felt a tug on Griffith's leash.  I
tried to run off, but Griffith stopped me.   He
wouldn't budge. When I looked down at him, he was
poised and taking a crap on the man's wing tipped
shoe.  (So, all those little holes are for
something.)  I looked up, the man looked down, we
looked up at each other.  His face turned red
with anger.  He lurched forward, and I was forced
to drag poor Griffith, in mid dump, over the
white carpet and down the stairs to the front
door.  You know what happens when you drag a dog
away while he is dumping?  You get a dotted line,
a directional signal, ten little turds spread out
across the white rug and down the stairs.

	The man hurled a phone at me which
crashed down the stairs and hammered a little
dent in the wall.

	"Good dog!" I praised him.  "Good dog!"  And we ran out the front door.

–¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥Ý¥
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net