TheBanyanTree: Four down and thats the end

Russ Doden Russ at nogard4cd.com
Wed May 31 06:21:56 PDT 2006

Four down and thats the end of the Oklahoma Renaissance Festival
for another year.

This year the last weekend was Memorial Day weekend.  That
means three days of playing with the visitors - and three days of
trying to not suffer from heat exhaustion.

This year the weather gods have decided that instead of keeping us
wet and on the cool side of the fence, that they would give us record
setting temperatures.  Not record setting on the low side either.  All
three days the temperatures set record highs, or came near to
setting highs.  The daytime high each day was over 90 degrees fairy
height.  Your humble bard felt lucky in that my attire, while it
consisted of long sleeves (except Monday) and knee length trews
with knee high boots was nothing compared to the Royals.  Those
who are portraying members of the court are in layers and layers of
heavy material.  They were under orders to spend 15 minutes
indoors in the Castle where it is air conditioned, for every 30 minutes
they spent outside.  Everyone was red in the face most of the time.
Either from heat from sunburn.  It is amazing how many brands of
majyk potion (sunscreen) wash off in heavy perspiration!  Either that,
or it burns like mad when it gets in your eyes.

Anyhow, back to the Festival.  Saturday started out as every
Saturday does, with large crowds and lots of nonsense.  Everyone
was in high spirits, knowing it was the last weekend.  So much fun
had been had already, and the cast was now working like a well oiled
machine.  There was so much interaction that even the owner said
he was "blown away" by how everyone was working with each other
to entertain the visitors.

>From this bards view the day was great.  Our first set of the day is
always a low key one where we sit down with the audience and play
sweet songs as well as lively ones and toss in some fun tunes for the
wee ones.  Usually it is a small crowd but this time we had twice the
normal sized group there.  That told us it was going to be a busy day.
After that set, as always we went off to a corner to play for some
favored people (and to avoid being in the noon parade).  Then we
went out to play for the post parade Maypole dance.  Oy.  Can you
say HOT?  Sweat was flowing uphill as they say.  We were glad that
our sets for the afternoon were all indoors except the very end of the
day.  The afternoon crowds were large and rowdy (and more than
just a few were a wee bit tipsy).  All in all it was a grand day. We had
some special guest performers at the festival this weekend, who
were led by an old friend of mine.  This is a bagpipe group, and they
use the war pipes - which are the loudest of all the pipes.  I drummed
with them during the pub sing that eve - and couldn't hear for a while
afterwards - those pipes are LOUD.

That eve the Castle had their Celildh (Kae-lee) or Scottish party.
What a blow out that was! After the end of a long and busy day we
had just enough time to maybe get a quick wipe down, change
clothes and get ready for the evening fun.  Did I wear a kilt to the
Celildh?  Of course!  It's a Scottish party isn't it?  The Bedlam Bards
were up first and we played for about an hour, doing our best to wear
the dancers and visitors out then it was time for the next group of
entertainers.  That meant it was time for me to relax and visit with
many friends.  Well, as I was wandering around, entertaining
thoughts of sneaking out and going out to the campground to get an
early shower and some much needed rest, the leader of the Rogues
(that group I drummed with during the pub sing) found me.  He asked
if I would want to play with them during the last set.  Silly me, I
assumed he meant the last of their set.  I said sure and went to
check to make sure my guitar and drum were still where I had left
them.  Randy (the leader of The Rogues) went back with me to
check his stuff too.  Then he says, OK, we are up in 5 minutes so if
you need to make a privy stop, do it now.  Oh, he meant I was going
to drum with them the whole hour!  Wheeeee.  Ever stand next to
two war pipes, and another drummer playing at full tilt for an hour?
Not only was I totally exhausted, I couldn't hear out of my left ear for
some time!  At last the Celildh came to an end and it was time to
return to the camp - where a shower was most welcome and I fell
into a deep slumber.

The next morning came far to early.  It was back into the Castle for
another day of fun.  It was nearly a repeat of the day before only with
slightly fewer people.  Another day of fun, music and . . . heat.  Most
of us were moving pretty slow that morning I must confess.  We try
to pace ourselves, but we still burn a lot of energy.  The sets were
again well attended and full of fun all day long.  It is funny how at the
beginning of the day, you can hardly do anything, but once the gates
open, the adrenalin starts to flow and you find yourself bouncing
around like you had good sense again.

Sunday eve was a quiet one, and that was very needed.  The
campground was quiet as everyone was worn out I think.  By 10ish
all you heard was subdued conversations, with the occasional snore
from a tent or camper.

Monday dawned with a groan for most of us.  As I was walking to the
camp privy, I was chatting with a fine lass that works there and we
were joking about doing the "old person" walk.  You know how old
people kind of toddle along because everything hurts?  That is how
we were walking.  Well, hey, I can see why I was walking like that -
I'm 58 and had been bouncing around like some 20 something the
last two days.  my walking companion was a 20 something, and she
had the old person walk going too!  Does that tell you hard we play?

The last day of some faires is "freaky day" where you stay in
character but push your costume a bit.  I didn't push much.  OK so I
wore tights instead of long pants and wore a loose weave short
sleeve tunic - with a tail pinned to my waist band under the tunic.
Many people wear tails, but they are tied to their belt.  I pin mine to
my waist band under the tunic and it hangs like I grew it.  Mine is
nice and flexible too, so with the slightest "wiggle" I can wag my tail.
Yeah, you can imagine the comments about getting a little tail or a
piece of tail that goes on.

the last day is also the day where everyone seems to "shoot the
works" as far as energy goes.  Nothing gets held back.  The crowds
were lighter (it was horribly hot) but those there got a LOT of
attention.

At days end it is the hardest time though.  The faire is over and most
of us won't see many of the friends we had made for another year.
Many goodbyes are said, addresses and such are exchanged, and
more than a few tears get shed.  The event is over and we all know
it.  Few of the cast or entertainers are eager to leave and linger in
clusters here and there, visiting - not wanting to have this magic time
end.

Alas, eventually though people start to wander off, to pack up their
shop, or to start the journey homeward.  About that time a wind
picked up and blew dust everywhere.  The dust was so thick you
couldn't see a quarter mile!  The temperatures dropped a good 10
degrees in 15 minutes!  I heard later that a storm had developed
about 10 miles away and we got the outwash winds.

I was hoping to get this last episode written, but though I was in my
office I was not functional.  I was so tired I could barely keep my
eyes open.  Someone asked if I would be doing it again.  I told them
that right now my answer would be no, but after a bit of time to
recover,  will be more than eager to once again shout "Throw wide
the gates and let the festival begin" and do it all over again.

Thanks to thee for listening to these tales of the Faire.

Till next we meet, God Speed and Fare the Well.

Andrus the bard
aka Russ