TheBanyanTree: Proud Father

Mark Funk Mark at arboretum.umn.edu
Mon May 29 08:18:43 PDT 2006

Hi Fellow Tree Dwellers,

Saturday was a big day for me.

The youngest of my three daughters was married.

As you might expect, I am the proud father of the bride.  A bride who looked and is beautiful and who, although usually shy, amazed me by coming out of her shell and being the perfect hostess at her reception.
My pride is even greater because we share a love of writing, a natural talent that she has and which I have encouraged.

She used that talent to create the following poem, which she presented at the rehearsal dinner the night before the wedding:

For My Parents

Tomorrow is the day, I've dreamed of all my life.
I will be getting married, becoming my love's wife.
I wanted to tell both of you, how special you are to me,
You have made me what I am, and what I am ready to be.

Tonight I will remember, all the love that I've received,
>From two amazing parents, my goals you've helped me to achieve.
Dad tickled every splinter, mom kissed every scrape,
You taught me how to love myself, no matter what my shape.

I'm lucky to have parents, that stayed together through the years,
Supporting one another, through the laughter and the tears.
Having good role models, will help me on my way,
To becoming the wife I want to be, on this very special day.

With the morning I will have, emotions flowing free,
I just wanted you to know, I'll need you there with me.
Your strength and love will guide me, as I become the bride,
As I start this precious journey, I need you by my side.

As I stand here in the church, about to walk down the aisle,
Please look at me dear Mom and Dad, I need to see your smile.
Your loving gaze will soothe me, your smile will help steady me,
As I take this blessed step, for God and all to see.

I'll always be your Baby Girl, and your love I'll always need,
Though we're starting a new chapter, planting a new seed.
He is my love, my life, my everything to me,
And he will be beside me, as we tackle what will be.

So on the eve of my wedding day, I say these words to you,
Hoping that you realize, you're in everything I do.
Tomorrow I will pledge to him, my very heart and soul,
You have helped to mold me, and he will make me whole.

I love you both!

Sara and Matt
May 27, 2006