TheBanyanTree: The Promise

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun May 21 06:04:01 PDT 2006

The weather people promised that it was going to be a real spring day
yesterday, but once again, they broke their promise.  The clouds ate the sun
around 10:00 am and it cooled down.  I had to close my open windows and look
for a sweatshirt.  Fortunately, it did not rain on my parade, but there were
a few sprinkles here and there.

Ray and I did manage to get the garden in despite being distracted by fence
construction and my grandsons.  Ray had our neighbor boys help him construct
a huge fence at the back of our yard.  The boys behind us were so thrilled
about their new “backstop,” that their mother baked a plate of cookies for
Ray.  The two boys, around 10 or 11, are baseball fanatics.  They have a
machine that pitches the ball to them and then they slap at it with their
metal bats.  If they get a hit, the ball flies into our yard.  We were
throwing the balls back until Ray started dismantling the dog kennel behind
our massive garage.  He attached the chain link panels, with the boys’ help,
to our existing fence to create a “backstop.”  Now only a small percentage
of balls land in our yard.  I thought that was a pretty cool idea.

I potted plants, I hung plants, and I placed potted flowers on the deck and
on the side of the house.  My fingernails are full of dirt.  Ray and I
planted perennials and annuals in the large plot in the back of the yard.  I
started a fern garden.  I added black dirt to the compost pile.  Ray is
going to use the last panel from the dog kennel as a gate to our garden
plot.  I’m going to try to set up a patio for our fire pit.  The yard is
taking shape.

It was 39 degrees when I woke up this morning.  The sun has appeared today,
but instead of a summer breeze, it will be cool.  The windows will stay shut
and I will continue to wear my sweatshirt.  I think this time the weather
people will keep their promise.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

You can never go home again, but the truth is you can never leave home, so
it's all right.
~Maya Angelou