TheBanyanTree: Up close and impersonal

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed May 10 12:40:46 PDT 2006

May 10, 2000000006

Dear Grown-Ups,

		Feyna and I have a meeting every morning.  We help
her function.  Sometimes we go through the list of things she's
supposed to do, and check them off.  Sometimes, we get on the phone
and look for employment.  Sometimes, we do other things.  Today, we
went through her mail.

	There are Wells Fargo Bank statements all the way back to
when she first got her account.  And in one of them, there was an
erroneous charge of $9.95, which is more than she makes in a month.
Yes, someone used her ATM card number at an Oakland Chevron station
on March 13, 2006.  We know Feyna didn't do this transaction, because
Feyna doesn't buy gas.  But also, she was in Monterey on the 13th of
March.  We called the bank, and Feyna got to get up close and
impersonal to a phone transaction with an anonymous banker who tried
to sell her identity theft coverage.  Essentially, you have to do the
same things you do if anyone should use your cards or accounts.  It's
up to you to look for discrepancies, find them and report it, but in
addition, the bank offers charging you $12.95 a month for the
service.  She gave me a look.  I gave her a look back and shook my
head.  She told the nice banker, who had read a monologue about the
service without inhaling once, that she wasn't interested, and the
nice banker read another monologue, probably monologue #2 recited
when someone sounds like he or she is not about to bite.  Feyna gave
me a wild, frantic look and mouthed, "What do I do?!"  I told her,
sotto voce, that she should tell the nice banker, "Thank you, but I'm
really not interested."  and just keep telling her that until she
reads the monologue about thank you and good bye.  After a couple
rounds, it worked.

	My girl is growing up.

	Love,

	Tobie