TheBanyanTree: The news from the orthopedist

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon May 1 13:02:04 PDT 2006

May 1, 2000000006

Dear buddy bones,

	I saw the orthopedist this morning.  They have a busy office.
Everyone is doing the grand drag step, or has something in a cast.
There are crutches and ace bandages and canes.  And here's the weird
thing:  The door to the examination rooms is very stubborn and hard
to open from either direction.  You have to pull hard or push hard,
and when you get it open, it tries its best to close quickly on you
(maybe if it cuts you in half they can book you for two people).  And
I wondered as I watched the victims of injuries struggle with the
trick door.  Who planned this?  And if it wasn't planned, who let it
stay that way?  Why don't they at least have a door stop to keep it
open so no one gets hurt?  I thought of the borderline personalities
with not so latent sadistic tendencies who sit behind the front
reception station, getting some sort of satisfaction out of viewing
the staggering and wrestling with the door every day.  Do they
snicker?  Or are they so used to it that they're impatient with the
patients?

	Dr. Debonham is a sweet older man, tall as you can be without
being a conversation piece, and he wears herringbone tweed jackets
with black natty slacks.  He has a long face, criss-crossed with
smile lines and worry lines, so I gather he has a rich inner life.
By the time he came into the examination room, I had managed to crawl
and claw my way up onto the table and had both legs stretched out,
the famous air cast still on, just in case he needed to comment on
its proper use.  He stretched out his hand to shake mine.  We shook.
He took out the X-rays and mounted them on his wall light box.
"Nothing broken," he assured me.  It is a sprain, though.  Let's take
a look at it.  Take off your cast and the socks and shoes off of both
feet."  He twisted the good foot and twisted the bad.  And damned if
there wasn't a difference!  With the bad foot, when he twisted it,
there was a groan in the room.  He checked it for mobility, but not
for strength.  I guess he knew about the strength part.  Why bother?

	It's still quite swollen, and painful, and difficult to live
with, but at least it's not broken.  Now, when I put weight on it and
it hurts, I don't have to worry that I'm crushing a bone, or
increasing a fracture like you can do on a ceramic bowl if you grasp
it on either side of the hairline fracture and pull it apart.  Or
like the poor prehistoric squirrel does to the ice shelf when he
whaps that acorn into the ground.

	I am locomoting with difficulty, but happier at it.  And it's
really just a short little problem compared to what heights true
tsoris can achieve.  I'm supposed to start taking the air cast off
for periods of time, and the healing is measured in weeks, not hours
or days.  Next week this time, I'll drag a little less and maybe I'll
be able to open a sadistic door and hold it open with my bad foot.
It's a dream, anyway.

	Here's to dreams,

	Love,

	Tobie