TheBanyanTree: A Lotta Chicks

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Mon Mar 27 10:55:33 PST 2006

> Fortunately, I ordered all femals
> Rhose Island Reds, and .well, the Polish came "straight-run"  I don't
> know what my "free" one is, though it's dark with brown markings and bigger
> than all the others.

Might be a "turken".  Look in the catalog.  (I love the Murray McMurray
catalog!)  I know several people who got Turkens as their free bird.
Guess they can't sell them or something.  They're pretty ugly, as
chickens go, poor things.  My Rhode Island Reds were from McMurray too.
  I think they are such beautiful birds and are the exact same color as
my orange cat.  It's hiliarious to see the a matching chicken and cat,
about the same size, both skulking around the yard.  We found that they
were actually a hybrid mix of Rhodies and something else.  The true
Rhodies at the county fair were much more red than our chickens.   We
had six of them, from someone who only wanted 20 but had to order the
minimum number.  We had all six for a couple of years, but raccoons
discovered a way into the coop, and now we only have one--our pet
Penny, who free-ranges around the yard and visits the neighbors
occasionally and still, at over three years old, leaves us an egg
almost every day.

We were laughing, just this morning, because we recently visited Kauai
where there are wild chickens everywhere.  We realized, when we got
back, that Penny is about three times the size of any chicken on Kauai,
including the roosters.  She is fat as a little pig--a giant ball of
feathery fluff.  We've taken to calling her The Queen of Kauai, because
she most definitely would be if we could land her there.  She follows
us around like a dog and would live in the house with us if she could,
silly hen.  This morning she was knocking at the front door and giving
us the stink eye, trying to get us to come out, or to let her in.  And
when that didn't work, she came around to the back door and knocked
again.  Unfortunately she has, recently, decided that she prefers to
sleep on the rack on the top of my Jeep.  She has covered the top in
chicken poop.  Most disgusting.  Plus, it does nothing for my
professional image on the job, and it embarrasses the 15 year old
man-cub.  I tried to run through a carwash this morning, but the
carwash was closed.  So I'm still driving around in a chicken poop
covered vehicle.  The price I pay, I suppose, for being
overly-permissive with my chicken.

Julie

Mine still reside int he sunroom, in totes. Soon, I will be adding a