TheBanyanTree: The Work of Photographer Spencer Tunick

Scott Daniels scotrace at mac.com
Mon Mar 20 06:51:52 PST 2006

Recognizing that as a newbie, I don' know you well enough to talk about your naked...

Is anyone familiar with the work of Spencer Tunick? A pro photographer, he has spent more than a decade traveling the world and photographing ordinary people who volunteer as subjects. many times, the photographs are of masses, hundreds or thousands of people grouped together near some landmark or recognizable spot. Other times the groups are small - five or fewer, sometimes just a single person. I think the shots are always done outdoors, and everyone in every photo is nude.

A new photo was made in Venezuela yesterday, involving some 1500 people (link - http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/03/19/venezuela.nude.ap/index.html ).

The photos aren't meant as porn or erotica, but just as anything that gets the label "art," these days, they are controversial. He has been photographing nude folk from Sidney to New York, Moscow to Rome. Of course, I think the only place he ever has trouble with the gubmint is in the U.S.A.

I find it fascinating. It's not likely Tunick would come to do a shoot out here in the Ohio cornfields, but if he did, would I sign up?

Would you?

Scott