TheBanyanTree: March of Days

clarence talley ceciltalley at verizon.net
Thu Jun 8 11:29:41 PDT 2006

At 10:16 AM -0500 6/8/06, Mark Funk wrote:
>Hello Fellow Tree Dwellers,
>
>"March of Days."  I've always found that phrase interesting as it
>seems full of hidden meaning.  First, there is movement through
>time, as in days marching on, but also through space, as in marching
>to some destination.  Second, there is an implication of
>camaraderie, as in marching with others (do we ever march alone).
>And finally, there is a sense of purpose and even growth, as in
>moving from where we are to some other destination.
>
>I first heard this phrase used in one of the original Star Trek
>episodes.  The crew asked this being they discovered on a distant
>planet to travel with them to other sites.  The being replied that
>she would cease to exist if she were to leave her planet, her home,
>for anymore than a "short march of days."  She was inexplicably tied
>to her surroundings.
>
>This brings me to another subject: the things that bind us together.
>I'm a "twelve stepper," which is to say a member of a 12 step group,
>but not AA.  In AA, members will sometimes ask each other if they
>are a friend of Bill, which refers to Bill W., one of the
>co-founders of AA.  I like to say I am a friend of a cousin of Bill.
>But I have read the "Big Book" of AA and the writings of Bill W.  In
>that book, under "A Vision for You," Bill talks about the fellowship
>as the Road of Happy Destiny.  As many are fond of saying: working a
>12 step program isn't reaching a destination it is a lifelong
>process.  What is important is being on the road.
>
>I like to view this road as one having many paths and individual
>destinations.  Sometimes the paths come together and sometimes they
>move apart.  Although we each have our own destination, when we come
>together we share our common humanity and often we take time to
>cheer each other up, to help each other around our common obstacles,
>to simply enjoy each other's company.  Bill W. talks about trudging
>the road, which sounds a bit like marching doesn't it?  I sometimes
>enjoy the image of dancing down the road.  But whatever the image,
>the road does represent a coming together with a similar purpose,
>traveling in the same direction, and sharing the journey with others.
>
>Is not the Banyan Tree such a place?  A place where we come together
>to share our love of writing or the well told story.  But also a
>place where we come to share so much more: our hopes, our dreams,
>our lives.
>
>As I've already shared with you, in a short march of days, I will
>have surgery.  As surgeons are prone to do, my surgeon impressed on
>me that this is very serious, high risk surgery.  But what can I do,
>except trust that he is on my road and will help me around the
>obstacles I encounter in this portion of my journey.  Perhaps this
>is the end of my journey or perhaps our paths will simply move apart
>for a short time before I return to continue my march down this road
>with you.

> [...]

Hi, Mark.

I missed scads of posts while I waited for my new server and new
address. Your coming surgery doesn't sound like a pleasant stroll in
the park. I take it that what you have is life threatening. Have you
said what ails  you?

I sure hope that surgeon knows his stuff and has a steady hand. This
must be the season for surgery. Next thing you know, I will learn
that our Tree is going to be cut down and hauled away to the lumber
mill or that Lassie has attacked Timmy.

Cecil, hoping for the best outcome for you