TheBanyanTree: Quiet On The Front

Pam North pam.north at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 20:13:59 PDT 2006

I've really been so busy I guess, that I haven't had a chance to actually
sit down and think about it.  Or dwell on it, as the case may be.

But my house sure is quiet.  No kids since they're already at their dad's.
No dog or cat, since those critters went too.

Just me and a couple more boxes.  Oh yeah, and the computer.  Since this old
desk is also going on the last dump-run tomorrow, I decided to just leave
the computer up and running until the last minute.  Tomorrow morning I'll
turn it off, unplug everything, and pack it away in my truck.  And then
either take it to storage, or leave it in the car until I get another home.

The cleaning lady is coming tomorrow afternoon, and the guy comes to clean
the carpets the next morning.  And then we close.  And it's a done deal all
the way around.  This very last tie to my life with Todd will be over a
done.  A closed chapter.

When we moved in almost six years ago, this wasn't how I ever thought it
would be moving out.

It's been six months trying to get the house listed, and then sold.  My life
has been painting and fixing and cleaning and packing.  Boxes were stacked
up all over, in all different sizes, depending on where I got them from.
But they're all neatly labeled with almost exact contents!

I was hoping the 'new' house would have been ready this past weekend, but
they're not even supposed to lay the carpet and flooring until tomorrow.
And I still don't know if they've installed the stove yet!!  But, since we
don't close on that house until the middle of next month, there was no rush
for that seller.  All the blame is pointed at me for procrastinating going
out looking and deciding where I wanted to go.

I thought I was so organized, but I wasn't!  I kept back too many clothes
for me.  I thought I'd done two last loads of laundry.  Until they went to
move the washer and found I'd left that last load there!  But, not to
worry.  It was mostly only my son's baseball uniform.  I hope it'll be dry
by tomorrow afternoon.

If we even play since the field's bound to be under water!!!!!!!!

I had to rent two storage units!  We filled the first, and biggest, one with
one load from the mega rental truck.  I got a smaller one, and I've been
filling it with smaller loads from my own vehicle.  I'm not organized at
all.

I've thoroughly vacuumed the kids' rooms, and my own.  And the dining room,
but not the den or living room.  I'll be getting up early tomorrow morning
if they don't get done tonight.  And they still  might since I can't seem to
get to sleep.  I tried.  But I can't sleep.

This is all just really scary for me.  My darling children, selfish as only
teenagers (and some men I've known) can be, haven't been much help.  They
did manage to each pack up most of their own rooms worth of stuff, but
neither one packed another single box in the house.  They took what they
wanted from their bathroom, but left me to deal with everything else in
there!

And they're long gone before it's time to clean!

Molly doesn't much care since she's getting ready to head off to college.
Charlie doesn't much care since he just wants to be rid of this house and
onto the decor of the next one!  I think he fancies himself a 'straight
decorator'.  Or so he says!

I care because I don't want the cleaning lady to see everything that was
behind and under all the furniture we moved!  The carpet man will be aghast
when he sees the big red stain that was hiding under the couch.  I have *NO*
idea how the stain came to be there!!  UNDER the couch?!!   Gremlins, I'm
sure.

I'm rambling.  I'm feeling lonely.  But I'll be okay.

Pam