TheBanyanTree: Follow the Bouncing Ball

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sat Jun 24 06:20:26 PDT 2006

The first little green balls are forming on our tomato plants.  The weather
has been warm, and unfortunately, very dry.  I’ll have to drag out the hoses
and water the gardens this weekend.  Our flowers are blooming and the colors
are very vibrant.  We’re approaching the zenith of summer when all the
pieces fall into place – vegetables and fruits, beautiful flowers, and
barefoot weather.

The USA lost in the World Cup.  Big deal.  Cry me a river.  The American
media has been trying to whoop up interest in the World Cup, but we’re
displaying our isolationist tendencies and ignoring the whole thing.  Most
of us are counting the days until the NFL training camps open and we can
begin to build our fantasy football teams.  No matter how many of our kids
play soccer, it seems once they graduate from high school, football, real
football with an oblong ball, replaces any interest in chasing after a round
ball on a long field.

Ray and I have been riding the wave of Minnesota Twins victories.  This is
another “real” sport played with a small round ball and a wooden bat.  We
tune in every night to see if the Twins can pitch another great game and to
see if Justin Morneau will hit another home run.  It’s like watching a very
upbeat soap opera.  We’re going to the game tonight – interleague play, you
know, to see the Cubbies.  I’m sure it will be a packed house.  The Cubs
have their loyal fans and the Twins have been almost unbeatable, so the
combination will meet at the Dome tonight.  Again, we’re going to carless.
We’ll take the bus to the Mall of America, and then ride the rails to the
Dome.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

If a June night could talk, it would probably boast it invented romance.
~Bern Williams