TheBanyanTree: Stay at Home Rob

Rob McMonigal trebro at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 08:40:17 PDT 2006

I'm a stay-at-home Rob today, using my Friday off for cleaning up and
sorting through my things again, something I haven't done a lot of during my
evenings after work.  I thought I was going to be fishing, but Dad and I got
our signals crossed. Oh well, the fishies can breathe easier for another
week...

I told myself that this time, when I wad ready to move into a new place,
that I wasn't going to bring my "odds and sods" boxes without sorting them
first.  While it's easy to go through the book boxes and shed the political
policy books from 1960 that you know you're never going to read, it's much
harder to sit down and say, "okay, I don't really need that calender I might
turn into posters someday" or "not every card your grandmother sent you
needs to be kept".

The memories are in the little things, and those are hardest to shed.  But
it must be done--otherwise, you are buried in them, a mountain of life that
traps rather than shows accomplishment.

Mom keeps dragging things out of the attic for me to look at, almost all of
which I'm giving the "ok" to get rid of.  I am going to laugh, however, if I
ever have a child because she's not going to have cool toys for her
grandkid(s) to play with because she keeps getting rid of all of mine.
Though I don't suppose any potential Trebling will mourn the loss of my
stamp collection.  The only thing I mourn about it is the $$ I could have
used on comic books... :)
Hopefully, by the end of today, I'll have a good handle on what's still
downstairs, so I can use the space holding my junk boxes for spreading out
the comic boxes and getting my newest additions added to their proper
homes.  The Gil Kane memorial comic book library (as I sometimes call it) is
a bit out of order at the moment.

-Rob