TheBanyanTree: Glorious Summer-Like Days

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 7 08:07:13 PDT 2006

That's what we've had for the last few weeks.  It's been plenty warm but not
hot (well, at least to us, that is.  My sister, visiting from Oregon, thinks
it's hot).  Temps have been in the high 80s F, we've had short, late
afternoon thunderstorms every few days, the grass is the most intense green,
the trees are in glorious full foliage, the mimosas are in bloom and
the mornings are cool (typically in the 50s F)

We're three days from the full moon and the mid-year solstice is just a couple
of weeks away, when we, in the northern hemisphere, have our longest days and
start the slow tilt away from our celestial power source again.

Another case where the changing seasons remind me that we, like the Steve
Miller Band song says, are "lost in space . . . and the earth is our home".

For you see,  space is not OUT THERE, but rather, we're right in the middle of
it, on a mass that's spinning around at approximately 1000 mph and circling
the sun at a speed of about 67,000 mph.  We'll soon reach the mid-point on
that 583 million mile  journey around our sun.  We truly are space creatures
on a sojourn.

It's not summer yet on the calendar but it is the best of the best of summer
for us in the weeks just before summer officially begins.  Later in the
season it's too doggone hot at night and even the early mornings can be
sticky with heat and humidity.  Stifling is the term that those that live
outside outside our area use to describe our summer heat and humidity.  We
just say, "It's another scorcher, aint it?" and go on about our business.

  bd
    ----