TheBanyanTree: Independence Day

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Wed Jul 5 07:18:02 PDT 2006

We weren't planning on doing anything for the 4th. Too hot, gas too high, too
many other things we HAD to get done.

But, early on the morning of the 4th, we impulsively jumped in the car and
headed north.

"I want to see the Manatees."

"Okay. We'll go see the Manatees."

Now, Manatees are those hippo, sized sea cows that are on the endangered list
here in Florida. Boats cut them to ribbons with their propellers, which
means, in the Manatee areas, there is a no-wake law.

Manatees are huge, grey, gentle, veggie-eaters that live in the warmish
waters of rivers near the Gulf.

We drove three hours to Crystal River, which is where a power plant lends
warmish waters to the spring-fed river there.  We stopped at a place advertising
boat tours. No go. Either they had already gone out, or were reserved full, or
it was the wrong time of year to see the Manatees.  Whatever.

We stopped at a bayside/riverside restaurant and had fish sandwiches. There
was a boat taxi nearby. The captan loitered.

"Wanna take us out to see the Manatees?" we asked.

"The wrong time of year," he said.

But, he took us out, anyway. An hour's tour. It was a slow day.

We cruised the river and he explained ancient history about indians,
bootleggers, giant tarpon sometimes caught in the river, of the deep springs spewing
millions of gallon of fresh water into the river daily. etc etc. And, he took
us into a weedy backwater where he had seen some dolphins and interesting birds
recently.

And, there . .

And there. We saw Manatees.  A family of three, giants gliding in the shallow
waters.

Our day was complete.

We had another meal there, and drove the three hours back toward home, in
time for fireworks, and feeding the horses near midnight.

In all, a good day.

NancyLee