TheBanyanTree: Not Bored

Laura wolfljsh at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 18:53:03 PDT 2006

I have been whining to friends about being bored.  That
whole arm-in-a-cast thing I talked about yesterday, ya'
know.  The bored thing has been solved.

Back in April I think it was, I had to take our old kitty
Derby in to be euthanized.  He was 13 or 14, and his
kidneys failed.  Since then, our 4 year old cat has been
wandering around the house meowling for his buddy.

I mentioned to my spouse that Cheddar (the meowling kitty)
really needed a new buddy.  Someone to beat up, someone to
groom, someone to fight over the food bowl with.  After a
day or so of paying attention to Cheddar's behavoir, the
spouse agreed with me.

Today, we spent about an hour and a half at the local
PetSmart, where all the local and nearby humane societies
and shelters set up Saturday adoption centers.  As it
turns out, July is Adopt-A-Cat month, and there were
kittens and cats GALORE.  That makes sense when you think
about it, most cats have their first litters of the year
in the mid spring, late April or early May.  That makes
the kittens of adoptable age in July.

When we walked into the place, the first thing that caught
our eyes was the long line of black cages, as far as the
eye could see, all the way to the back of the store.
Well, that was the impression, but they really only went
halfway back.  The spouse, for some reason, headed
directly to a cage about halfway down the line, and
immediately got down to eye level with a plain little
brownish-tan kitty.  I stopped to look at the cats and
kittens in each cage, and eventually worked my way back to
where the spouse was now holding this plain little kitten.
I could tell he wa already in love, but I made him go all
the way around the store, looking at every cat and kitten
in the place.

I suppose I should explain that.  See, everytime we make a
purchase of any importance, a house, a car, furniture, a
cat, or a dog, he makes me go all over town looking at
every available whatever it is, even if I KNOW that the
first one we saw is the one we'll end up getting.  So this
was just a little payback. ;)  Yes, I'm evil.  :D

ANYway, we did end up back at that same cage, holding that
first kitten the spouse had made eye contact with.  I
filled out the paperwork (even one-handed, my handwriting
is better than his), and Voila! we were the proud owners
of a plain brown kitten.

It's funny - the more I look at him, the less plain he is.
His face is beautiful.  He has the big ears, long muzzle
and long tail of an oriental, with the large body and long
legs of a domestic shorthair (moggie to you ferign types).
His baby fur is indeen plain brownish-tan, but if you look
closely enough, his adult guard hairs, which are just
coming in, are a beautiful butterscotch.  His eyes are
still a mixture of the baby blue and what will be his
adult color, green.  He is going to be a gorgeous cat.
Even if he's really ugly, we'll think he's wonderful!

Oh, his name?  Cheshire.  No, not *that* Cheshire cat.
Think about it.  We have a cat named Cheddar.  Like
cheddar cheese.  Now we have a cat named Cheshire.  Like
Cheshire cheese!  See, Cheddar's fur is the color of
cheddar cheese, and Cheshire (probably will be called
Chess) is the color of Cheshire cheese.  Brilliant, no?

--
Wolfie
wolfljshus at insightbb.com