TheBanyanTree: New Year Resolution?

Mike Pingleton pingleto at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 18:10:53 PST 2006

On 1/17/06, Mark Funk <MARK at arboretum.umn.edu> wrote:

> If so, keep those stories and poems (shudder) coming!

I was sittin' in my favorite place, a paw wrapped 'round a brew
when this Venus type comes strollin' in, a trippin' through the dew
and she parks her compact luggage on the barstool next to mine,
and flashes me a golden smile like dandelion wine.

now even ugly mooks like me have got to take a shot
she might be somewhat nearsighted as well as beaucoup hot
so I asked what she'd like to drink and winked my one good eye,
and she said it's not quite breakfast yet, so make it rock and rye.

she glanced and saw the notebook and the pen in my right hand
and she squinted at the words that I was trying to make scan
and then she asked the question while I took a sip of foam,
I looked deep into those baby blues and answered her - "a poem" -

I never saw a woman who was faster on her feet
as I watched the choicest bit of south run north along the street
and I sadly shook my head, as I drank her rock and rye,
and figured death by poetry's a lonesome way to die.

-that one's for the Alpha Butterfly,
who always asks so nicely-

Mike