TheBanyanTree: renga anyone?

Mike Pingleton pingleto at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 17 13:05:50 PST 2006

On Sunday 15 January 2006 12:02 am, Scott Daniels wrote:
> I can't seem to *get* poetry. It's sort of like my daughter's algebra
> homework. Seems like either one has the gene for poetry or one doesn't.
> Though I have worked my way through Milton and I love Burns and Whitman
> (quite a group).

I hear a number of people say that (not getting poetry) and I have to wonder
if they didn't just get a dose of the wrong poetry in the formative years.
Scott, it you can get through Milton, and you count Robbie and Wally amongst
your friends, why, can't Richard Wilbur or Anne Sexton be far behind?  Why
not invite Ted Kooser in for a cup of coffee?

> Well, I can write limericks all day, but that hardly qualifies. Any guy can
> find a dozen ways to rhyme "Nantucket."

I think the limerick is underestimated, both as a poetic form and an
instrument of joy.  No better starting point for kids - attention must be
paid to form and feet, along with wit.  Rolling limerick slams amongst a
group are a lot of fun - the last line of the limerick gives the subject for
the next limerick.  So give limericks at least half a day, Scott.

> A friend, PHD in English Lit, says that poetry must be learned to be
> appreciated. That you have to study it, step by step. Seems like a
> worthwhile study.

A little cowboy poetry will cure him of that curious notion :)

on the day you were born
a little star did dance
a handsome pony pranced
and ladybugs did pirouettes