TheBanyanTree: Always a Bride

Monique monique.ybs at verizon.net
Sat Jan 14 20:16:14 PST 2006

Never a bridesmaid. For whatever reason, and I'll list them here for
your perusal, I've never been in a wedding where I haven't been the
bride.
1.                My best friend in high school? Just because I was
living out of state, she didn't ask me to be in her wedding. I'd planned
on returning for the wedding, but since she didn't ask me to
participate, I didn't bother. I was young and spiteful.
2.                My sister's third wedding? She wanted me to come, but
for her attendants she asked her boss and two of her co-workers, one of
which she was not at all fond of, but she didn't want to upset any of
them and it was much easier to get them to shop for their dresses
together. I was relegated to the task of following along after the
bridal party and cleaning up and ensuring catastrophe was held at bay.
3.                My mother's fourth wedding? Well, obviously, she only
had the one attendant, her sister, but somehow I found myself in charge
of having to get everyone in their appointed places as well as organize
the photographer and attend to a myriad of tasks, such as enlisting my
husband to escort the groom's mother because the groom's children
couldn't be bothered to participate . . .

This list is useful for certifying my organizational skills, but that's
not very useful here. What I'm trying to say is no one's ever found me
useful for being in a bridal party, and herewith I find my dilemma.

There is a best man who is happy to perform his duties. And several
groomsmen have already been selected. I, on the other hand, have a
bridesmaid, the sister of the groom, who I insist on and who adores me.
But now what? I hesitate to ask anyone else because 1) it's a terrible
imposition, and 2) it's a terrible imposition, and 3) what if whoever I
ask is not thrilled about being asked because, after all, it's a
terrible imposition and who wants to have to deal with that? I have
friends, but do I have any friends who want to be THAT close to me?
(Which is not to say I don't get along with women, but that I abhor
asking anyone to go out of their way for me.) Fortunately this event is
so far off into the future it's of no concern. Yet. But I suppose
someday I must ask myself, if he can find willing parties to be enslaved
and dress up, surely I must be able to come up with someone. At the same
time, I find myself wondering if there are places that can rent out
attendants for the day. How much worse is that than asking co-workers
just because they're convenient.

Okay, so I won't do that. Either hire someone or use co-workers, but
then again, I work for myself, so there are no co-workers to speak of.
(Much to my perpetual disgust.) And I shall not concern myself with the
impossibility of this task, except as an abstract matter far off into
the future, until shortly before the scheduled event.

Then I'll panic, but not a moment sooner.