TheBanyanTree: The Women I am Not-Redux

Pam North pam.north at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 09:56:41 PST 2006

As her friend, can I add that everything she says in words, she's also
backed up in actions.

For having so much in common, and being so much alike, Maria and I are SO
different in so many ways.  And she loves me for all those differences.  And
she shows it.

For example, *I* have been a mom to bake birthday cupcakes for each of my
children to take to school for years.  Okay... until they got too old!  My
son would never take any past elementary school, but my daughter would still
take them, into high school, to share with her girlfriends.

And as I relate these stories to Maria, she cringes, chews her knuckles, and
thanks all that is holy that she dodged the cupcake-cooking-mom bullet!  But
Lordy, does she ever love me for loving to do it!!!

Things that she absolutely detests to do herself, things she thinks are
un-fun and is disinterested in, *those* are the things that she loves most
to hear about!  Those are the things she will cheer loudest for me doing.

We did a lot of laughing about our differences this past weekend when we
were together.  Though she has *never* made a costume for her kids', I did
admit to - just this year in fact! - *buying* green and black sweats for my
son's Literature class' reading of "Romeo and Juliet".  They were supposed
to 'dress' for their parts, and as a friend of Romeo's, he told me they wore
those colors, and that the sweats would be acceptable.  Oh yeah...  and I
bought him a plastic sword at Wal-mart to complete the ensemble!

She laughed with me, and cheered me on with my story!  Did she think I was a
better mom?!  Aw HECK no!!!!!  She got to stay at home with her kids for
years, while I went to work and left mine in daycare.  Did I think *she* was
a better mom?!  Heck no!!!!  Maybe just a bit more fortunate!

Anyway.  While the woman in Maria can cringe and detest some things for
herself, that same woman can still stand taller and cheer the loudest for
the woman in others doing those exact same things.

She's just good like that.

Pam