TheBanyanTree: renga anyone?

Laura wolfljshus at insightbb.com
Sat Jan 14 23:03:39 PST 2006

On 15 Jan 2006 , Scott Daniels made this statement:

> I can't seem to *get* poetry. It's sort of like my daughter's algebra
> homework. Seems like either one has the gene for poetry or one doesn't.
> Though I have worked my way through Milton and I love Burns and Whitman
> (quite a group).

I love poetry.  My Mom used to read poems to us as kids.  Not necessarily
heavy duty poetry (well, Shakespeare was in there too, and I guess he
qualifies as pretty heavy duty, but we didn't know no better), but neat-o
kid stuff like,

"Belinda lived in a little white house
with a little black kitten and a little grey mouse
and a little yellow dog and a little red wagon
and a realio, trulio little pet dragon."

When I was about 9, my parents gave me a book of poetry, chock full of
all kinds of poems, including I might add, limericks!  I fell in love
with the Ballad of Paul Revere, and The Highwayman.  I cried when I read
that one.  Still do, sometimes.  Oh, and "under the spreading chestnut
tree, the village smithy stands...".  <sigh>

> Well, I can write limericks all day, but that hardly qualifies. Any guy
> can find a dozen ways to rhyme "Nantucket."

Does too, does too!  It's a different talent, is all.  :)  I just wanna
know if any of the dozen ways to rhyme "Nantucket" *aren't* dirty!?

> A friend, PHD in English Lit, says that poetry must be learned to be
> appreciated. That you have to study it, step by step. Seems like a
> worthwhile study.

I disagree.  Poetry has to be HEARD.  Out loud, with rhythm and meter.
If you can't say it out loud so it makes sense, it won't make sense when
you read it.  Read Shakespeare in your head, and it's nonsense.  Read it
out loud... ah-HA!  Suddenly you can hear the language and it all comes
clear!  You can study it and study it, and delve deeply in to the imagery
and meaning, but if it doesn't sound right, you still won't "get" it.

> Just a few lines, Sachet, and you touched on all the images that make for
> a complete (rather nice) Picture.

Suck-up.  Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, little girl!

A new soul climbed up our tree one day
and rattled our branches and leaves.
He woke us all up from our naps, by the way
but we're all better for it I b'leeves!

I said I could *read* it, not write it.

;)

(Sorry Sachet, I ain't EVEN going near that Renga thing.  Too complicated
for me.)

--
Laura
wolfljshus at insightbb.com