TheBanyanTree: Cheated

Monique monique.ybs at verizon.net
Sat Jan 14 12:07:43 PST 2006

Count me in. I shall appear properly polished and glamorous (as
previously mentioned, glamour is an illusion, and I would indeed fall
into that category), even my nails done to perfection, even my toenails.
My mother was not in that category in the fifties, she was too busy
getting married and divorced and having a child at the age of 19 and
getting remarried. When I was in my 20's I taught her the basics of
using makeup when she asked, her interest being sudden and momentary.
That's as far as we ever got with our cultural upbringing. I had no
examples of glamour when I was growing up, unless you count my
stepmonster, who envisioned herself as the epitome of glamour and
sophistication but who was, instead, quite a crass boor without the
foundation of what underlies the true meaning of class.

Be that as it may. Perhaps the wedding will suffice for sophistication,
though I am doomed to be wearing what will have to pass as a wedding
dress in some manner, though I am toying with the idea of it being red,
not being totally in favor of dressing like an ingénue who's fondest
dream has finally come true, that of having landed the man of her dreams
and embarking on a fairy tale life, though I have landed the man of my
dreams, but at my age a traditional wedding dress can come quite close
to looking as if Miss Haversham has risen from Dickens and is on the
prowl for victims yet again. This would not be a good look for me.

Anyway. And yes, I find breaking into song at the drop of a hat (and why
don't I get to wear cool hats more often?) not only makes my days go
faster, but confounds my clients.

Monique