TheBanyanTree: Fwd: Cheated

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Jan 13 08:42:30 PST 2006

January 13, 20000006

Dear Scott and all you other golden era folks,

	The golden era.  You are talking about the period between
1930 and 1950 or so?  What you are missing is the movies, Scott.  You
have an image of what went on during that era, and unfortunately, it
never existed except in the movies.  Let's take the 1930s: global
depression, starvation, drought, a third of the work force unemployed
in the United States (where most of the movies take place).  People
took comfort in the fantastic films that projected an image of wealth
and leisure, grand gestures and subtle innuendo, the big suave.  How
about the 1940s? How about World War II and the rise of fascism in
Europe coming to a head in the holocaust?  The world was at war,
nothing romantic about that.  Well, except in the movies.  The real
people died in ditches or ovens, sweated on factory assembly lines
and collected rationing coupons.  Then of course there was the
beginning of the cold war, the big drop on Hiroshima and Nagasake: no
clever dinner talk there.  And then the 1950s, the era of the ugly
American, Jim Crow, an impoverished Europe trying to recover from the
war.  I remember some of the '50s.  It wasn't romantic.  Think about
the House Unamerican Activities Committee, black lists, the fear over
our heads that we would all wind up being incinerated into shadows in
some stupid nuclear war.  This is the era that inspired the rebellion
of the 1960s against the cultural lies and misrepresentation of
truths.  But in the movies it was musicals, epic films with thousands
of people and chariots, not as many clever dinner parties.  Oh, and
smoking those cigars and cigarettes?  We know what they really do to
you.  Not so glamourous.  In fact, "glamour" is what this is about.
It's a Scottish word.  Originally the definition was: apparent beauty
where no beauty actually exists.

	Oh Scott, I know your pain.  It is a longing for something
marvellous to exist that never existed and never will.  Life is what
you make it.  We all have to invite people over and have our own
witty dinners (bon mots en croute), have our own harrowing
adventures, rattle our own bravado and court our own mysterious
lovers.  If you go to restaurants that take reservations and are on a
smaller scale, then you don't have to put up with the theme
restaurants with all the prepackaged food coming out of the bank of
microwaves.  Some of what you long for could be had with enough
money.  But the real magic and the mystery is you.

	Yours,

	Tobie

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro