TheBanyanTree: Revisit Responses

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Sat Jan 14 08:56:34 PST 2006

> Well, I recently had one of the best repsonses I've ever had, it was
> priceless and *actually* caused me to laugh out loud.  No phony lol-ing,
> nope, the real McCoy.

That is funny, Maria, because I've always suspected that people are really not
laughing out loud when they use LOL.  Sometimes I actually am, but in that case
I often type something onomatopoeic such as BWAH HA HA HA HA.  Which is,
honestly, the way I often really laugh.  A big, bursting, spewing BWAH followed
by several gut-level HA HA HA's.  Sometimes I then lurch into a sound that I
cannot think how to type.  A sucking-in-air-while-yucking sound, sort of a cross
between laughing and choking, sometimes with real chocking involved.  I do very
often experience the condition of "bent double with laughter".

You are right that LOL has become a little phony.  My fifteen year old
son--quite the fart smeller, he is--told me that he and his friends had this
same converstation one time, online of course.  They came to the conclusion
that, no, generally they were not laughing out loud, nor were they ever, truly,
rolling on the floor, laughing their asses off.  Frankly nothing is that funny
to fifteen year olds.  So in the interest of being more brutally truthful with
each other, as teens will be, they came up with: NRLOLBHNBWTR.  That would be
Not Really Laughing Out Loud But Have No Better Way To Respond.

TTYL,
Julie