TheBanyanTree: tripp's looking glass

lloyd jones trippknoxious at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 20:32:35 PST 2006

  Tripp’s looking glass
  (74 days sober after 15 years in the well)

  This morning I sat on the bus
  and gazed through the window
  after a while my depth of field collapsed
  it collapsed into the reflection of the face that held that gaze
  the face of a man I no longer know
  my face

  it changes again and the face is gone
  the reflection reflects upon a looking glass
  that revels in the Achilles heel without remorse
  the shadow box of seashells falls from the wall
  sine qua non a soul may not rest

  that night I sat in the bar and drank
  no amount of alcohol could free me
  for my soul was tied beneath my shoe and the tread upon my sole was thin
  a mudpuddle revealed the reflection of the face that held the gaze
  this time I knew the face
  it was my face

  it changes again and the face is gone
  the reflection reflects upon a looking glass
  that clamors in the dark without vision
  the shadow of a man is lost in tripp
  sine qua non a soul may be born

  who is tripp and why is he here