TheBanyanTree: hope sings and chicken dreams

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Tue Feb 14 06:22:20 PST 2006

> The new batch of chickens arrived today.

Ah!  I am envious!  I miss my happy flock of Rhode Island Reds, their chicken
chatter, their funny little dance as they scraped around for bugs in the garden,
and their delicious eggs.  But I don't miss unfreezing their water every day in
the winter or cleaning out the coop poop.  And I really don't miss cleaning up
dead chicken bodies after another bloody raccoon attack--it is so sad to see
them killed.  But I just got my Murray McMurray catalog
(http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html if you've a mind to) and was
dreaming of having another sweet little flock--maybe some Araucanas that lay
colored eggs, or some of the striking Silver Laced Wyandottes, and of course the
Reds that I've come to love.

As it is, we just have our Penny left, the lone rusty red chicken who has all
but become a house chicken.  If I could come up with some sort of chicken
diaper, or if she could be litter trained (and I swear, this chicken might be
smart enough) I would let her inside with us.  She has been inside a couple of
times.  Once she pushed through the porch screen door and let herself in.  I
found her pecking at the tan berber carpet like it was curly dead grass.
Another time I came into the house to find her scooting around the kitchen, and
the boyfriend looking guilty and stricken at the same time.  "I had to do
something," he said, "there was a chicken hawk after her!"

Penny is free to range, of course, and has been smart enough to evade all mean
critters.  She ranges over to the next door neighbor's yard from time to time.
My neighbor Betty's 90 year old mother lives with her and is pretty much
confined.  (Betty's mom got out one day and I found her in my backyard in a
black wool sweater on a 95 degree summer day, about to have a heat stroke and
without a clue in the world as to where she was.)  Penny goes over and prances
in front of her sliding glass doors, and Betty reports that it makes her mother
very happy.  I find it a hopeful thought that Penny may reincarnate as a kind
and gentle person in her next life, and I will meet her.

When the nights started getting colder, Penny moved out of her pine tree in the
front yard and into a luxury suite in the garage, next to the water heater.
This meant constant chicken poop in the garage, which didn't make any of us
happy, and so we attempted to get her set up in a little condo out by the barn.
 But she would have none of that.  It was too far away from us, her new flock.
We were chasing her around the yard for up to half an hour each night just to
get her in there.  She would give us the stink eye every time, and I swear, a
chicken giving you the stink eye can make you believe in voodoo curses.  So we
gave up, let her move back into the garage, and just clean up the poop.  We are
weak-willed and soft-hearted where this chicken is concerned.

She brings us joy every day.  She makes us laugh.  When she's lonely, she pecks
at a window for attention.  She vocalizes her appreciation for every scrap of
food we give her, and we do tend to spoil her with treats like fruit and
spaghetti and fresh corn.  (Some friends--who shall remain nameless but you know
who you are--tried to treat her to beer and cigarettes.)  We began to worry that
she was not going to be with us for long, but I did a little research and it
seems she could live for up to seventeen years.  Wow.  I had no idea. Our pretty
Penny.  She's not a flock, but she's a real good chicken.

Julie

Picked them up on the way to