TheBanyanTree: hope sings

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Tue Feb 14 01:39:59 PST 2006

(One of these days I'll remember that replies on TBT go back to the
originator not the list - only been making the same mistake for six
years, but ...)

Hope sings  . . . doesn't it?

Back in 1988 I was living in this small village called Bungendore about
40 kms from Canberra - well small village in country then, large
touristy commuter suburb in area of hobby farms now - and me and the
lady I was living with went to an auction at a farm just up the road 'a
country mile' meaning about twenty. At the end of the sale I hadn't
bought anything - I didn't known about M, I'd hardly seen her during the
action. She turns up at the ute (pick-up truck) with a mysterious
looking sack tied at the top with string. "What's in the sack?" I ask.
"Oh, couple of things I picked up, nothing to worry about."  Hmmm. I
look at the sack and, on cue, it moves!! "Wouldn't be snakes, would it?"
I sez as I place it gently in the ute tray. "Oh, no, course not, never
buy snakes!"

We get home and in the sanctity of a half-acre back yard with grass
three feet high, an uncertain fence and no outbuildings except our
woodworking workshop and sale area, I tips the contents of the bag out.

Two bantam chicks.

Four ducks of indeterminate species.

Two geese - no, rephrase that - 1 goose, 1 gander.

"Er, where we going to keep 'em," I ask.

"Oh, you got to build an enclosure and house thingy for the geese and
ducks. The bantams no problem the man said, their wings are clipped,
they'll just hop up in the trees over night, pop down again in the morning."

Yeah, right - six o'clock in the evening, dark at seven, build an
enclosure and house thingy, nothing to it! So we shoved the geese in the
old garage which housed the power saw & stuff, found a big wooden box
with lid, drilled holes in the sides, put straw and ducks inside for the
night, and let the bantams hop up in the trees.

Next morning down to 4 ducks, 2 geese - never saw the bantams agen!!

Went down the landfill and found some wire and timber, threw up a fence
and house thingy - not bad, was still there last time I saw the garden
about 10 years ago. Gradually things settled down, had the geese eating
out of my hand within a week or so, but we did have losses to foxes or
wild dogs - within 6 weeks only the geese and one duck remained. They
were happy as pigs in sh..  in their cubby house at night where nothing
could touch them and the geese were the best watchdogs ever during the
day, nothing but nothing could get in our yard unheralded.   Not even us!

But then the gander began to get randy. Nothing in the books we'd bought
and read on goose culture prepared us for the shock of seeing the gander
practising you-know-what on the duck one morning. That poor little duck,
I can see her now, or at least the extremities of her, the rest was
covered in goose feathers. It wasn't as if she was well, either. She'd
had a couple of bingles with the foxes that ate her sisters and had a
gammy leg to prove it. Mind, she could move like greased lightning when
she needed to - like, during the weeks before the goose got broody.
Eventually though I had to build a little house for her 'cos the gander
wouldn't let her in the big one!

Geese start laying about the end of September in Oz and our goose was no
exception. Laid an egg a day for ten days, burying each one carefully in
the straw in the goose house so they were all close together. On the
tenth day she began sitting under the watchful eye of the gander. From
then until the eggs hatched he let her out of the house for 15 minutes
night and morning, no more, no less. Funny thing, all the eggs hatched
on the same day - well, nine of them, the tenth was a dud - and we
suddenly had a family of tiny yellow chicks. Not for long theough - they
doubled in size and weight every week for about two months.

Nothing like having geese in the back yard - specially eleven of them -
keeps the grass down and intruders (even foxes) away - make you famous
in the town too. Course, they ARE  a bit noisy but .. got to take the
rough with the smooth, eh?

roger