TheBanyanTree: Travels with a purpose 2

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Sun Feb 26 21:31:27 PST 2006

The next day, I headed off for Yass, a town not too far from Canberra,
and the home for many years of one of the great explorers, Hamilton
Hume.  Hume got on well with Aborigines, had a good relationship with
the convicts in his party, and got a great deal back in return, but he
settled back in Yass and became just a solid citizen and farmer.  He
bought a farm, extended it, had built a brick barn where the bricklayer
followed tradition and set circular holes at each end on each level, to
let barn owls in, but there was a problem here.  In Europe, barn owls
keep rodents under control in the barn, but Australia has no barn owls!

Old habits, it seems, die hard, but this surprised me.  Most Australian
architecture was developed more by what the British had done in India:
they even gave on of our marsupials, the bandicoot, an Indian name,
because it looked like a rodent found in parts of India which bears that
name.  It seems they never did much agricultural building in India, so
the 'home' styles came, unmodified, to our shores.

Australians, of course, love to criticise the British, and even their
Anglocentric forebears (though conservative politicians can still see
nothing wrong with that).  Hume travelled from Yass to Melbourne with an
English sea captain named Hovell, who seemed to think that as a seaman
who could navigate, he was in charge, but Hume, a seasoned bushman,
thought otherwise, and Hovell is usually deprived of credit – which is
probably unfair, but that's the way it goes.

I drove into the township of Yass to mooch for a bit and decided to move
on to Gundagai, but then I talked to the local tourist people (who sold
me a most excellent book on the old Aboriginal tracks through the area.
  They suggested heading south to Wee Jasper.  Great scenery, they said!
  So I cancelled a cannonball run down the highway, and diverted.  Just
as I was leaving, I heard two of the tourist people grizzling.  In
country towns, the tourist centre is also where coaches pull up, and
that meant battered women had taken to congregating outside, a fine
advertisement for the town, they thought.  I bit my tongue and thought
harsh thoughts.

The geology outside Yass is fascinating, and I have often seen it in
photographs.  The hills are made of folded strata, and every so often, a
hard bed stands out on the hillside, and below it, another one will
parallel it.  In fact, the whole geology is revealed on the
sheep-spattered hills, so I turned off down a side road, and drove for
about 15 km, stopping every so often to take photos.  This diversion was
almost a bad move, I realised later, when fuel became an issue.

Driving back to the main road, I set out again for Wee Jasper, with my
heart set on having a pie and a beer, and filling my tank with petrol,
but first the road plunged down to cross the Murrumbidgee River at the
Taemas Bridge, high above the Murrumbidgee.  The land was fenced and
carried a scattering of sheep, but there was a convenient welded steel
stile for the active to climb over, and a steep gully for the active to
stumble down into the thistles, so I did.  I walked about a kilometre up
the river, taking off my sandals and paddling in the warm shallow water
and the warm sand, but noting the flood levels on each side: the
Murrumbidgee is not a river to trifle with.

Sheep are stupid animals.  I was now inside their paddock and a few of
them ran the whole kilometre in front of me, then just as I turned, I
found they had circled me so I had the pleasure of chasing them all the
way back, but now they were upwind of me, so the dust they raised was
annoying.  I kept throwing rocks, just to the right of them, trying to
turn them up the hill and out of my path, or at least keep them far
enough ahead so the dust did not affect my camera.  Occasionally, a car
would trundle over the bridge, so I would have to stop throwing rocks
for a bit.  Then the sheep waited until I was a few metres behind,
before running dustily away again.

By the time I got back to the car, I needed sustenance, so I cut a hunk
of salami, a lump of cheese and a handful of dried apples, washed this
down with a litre of water.  A pie, a beer and petrol seemed a better
idea, so I headed once more for Wee Jasper, which was shut.

It was Monday, they had entertained lots of tourists on the weekend, so
they had closed up.  No petrol, no beer, and no pies.  Well, I had a
choice: drive 60 km back to Yass, past the congregating battered women,
and then head down the highway to my target, Gundagai, or take a
shortcut over a gravel road to Tumut, which was close to Gundagai.
Without much thought for the petrol supply, I headed off onto the
gravel.  I had a quarter of a tank, after all, and it was only 70
kilometres, so off I went.

And came to a sign saying "not suitable for caravans", which I took as
meaning it had tight bends and a few steep bits, and that was right, but
it also went up and down a lot, was home to flocks of recalcitrant
sheep, had large trucks running on it and locals who knew the road well
enough to drive at high speed.

Roads that go up and down a lot require one to engage lower gears, and
that uses up petrol.  I drive a manual car, because you can get out of
more trouble that way, but under those conditions, an automatic is
slightly more economical, they say.  I started to yearn for fuel economy.

Getting through a mob of sheep, sprawled across the road requires a loud
horn, an open window, a loud voice, engaging first gear, and time.
Sheep are stupid, and will suddenly decide that the other side of the
road looks great, and never mind this car, let's just go, and then all
the other sheep think: hmmm. must be some good grass over there or those
sheep wouldn't be going there, so they go as well, and they stink, and
they raise the dust – you get the picture.  By the time I had roused,
disturbed and passed through 300 sheep, they were already settling down
to lie on the road again.  A few minutes later, when I was passed by a
hurtling truck going the other way with a 4-wheel drive on its tray, I
grinned.  The sheep were about to get theirs.

I stopped several times to listen and look at the bush, free of any
motorised sounds, the birds that called, the sound of the wind in the
branches, and the way branches occasionally creaked and rubbed on each
other.  Not much has changed in areas like this, other than a road
cutting through, so I did my listening, and made some notes.

Mainly, though, I stopped to chomp on a bit more salami, to drink water,
and occasionally, to worry about the petrol, but in the end, I got back
onto tar, and soon came to a sign offering a choice: go right and drive
27 km on gravel to Tumut, or go left, and drive 31 km to Tumut on a
sealed road.  I went left: now I could use overdrive on the flat, run
down hills in neutral and use other ploys to conserve petrol, but I
probably need not have bothered: my 40-litre tank only took 35 litres
when I got to Tumut, so there had been 5 litres in reserve.

Then it was on, the last 25 km  to Gundagai, famed in song as the place
where the dog allegedly sat on the tuckerbox.  That dog did nothing of
the sort, but I will get to that later.

Gundagai is on the banks of the Murrumbidgee, and it had its beginnings
as a poetic town, laid out with nice square streets on a river plain
nice and close to the water.  Each street on the plain below a hillock
dubbed Mount Parnassus was named for a poet, from Mrs. Hemans ('The boy
stood on the burning deck') to Ovid, Byron, Milton, Pope, Johnson
(Samuel was regarded by the surveyor as a poet – I only know a few bits
of light verse by him, perhaps I need more education, but I think they
got mixed up with Ben Jonson), Sheridan, Otway (never heard of him),
Homer, Landon and Virgil.

Did I mention that the Murrumbidgee floods?  This is why it has
magnificent bridges across the plain in several directions, one for
rail, one for road today, and the old road bridge.  It is also,
indirectly, why the main park is called Yarri Park, there is a Yarri
Bridge, and a few other things.

Did I mention that the Murrumbidgee floods, from time to time?  The
local Aborigines did, but the townspeople took no notice.  They
established homes, shops, even a steam flour mill and went into
business.  Yarri was a local resident, and when a drought ended in 1852
with a flood, Yarri used a bark canoe to rescue many of the white people
who were stranded on whatever they could climb.  By morning, 89 people
had died, the largest known flood death toll in Australia, but many had
been saved, and Yarri was a hero.  He had rescued 49 people, taking them
to safety in twos and threes in his frail craft.

People gave him a nice shell badge, one family named their station after
him, and when he died, he was buried in the town cemetery, in the
Catholic section, and in later years, three parish priests were buried
near him.  They got around to erecting a nice headstone, just a few
years back – at least they still knew where he was buried.

I imagine there were other rewards as well, but there isn't much record
of them, and Yarri is by no means as well-known to Australians as that
stupid dog and the tuckerbox.  Gundagai, the town of poetic streets
(when they rebuilt on the slopes of Mount Parnassus, they kept many of
the poetic names) is famous to Australians by virtue of a piece of
doggerel about how everything went wrong, ending with the nonsense
statement that the dog sat on the tuckerbox, five or nine miles from
Gundagai.

When things are going pear-shaped, the dog sitting on the tuckerbox is
not a problem, and the original humorous verse was written by somebody
with an earthy sense of humour and a deep familiarity with bodily
functions.  The problem was not the dog sitting on the tuckerbox, the
food container, but the dog shitting IN the tuckerbox.  Well, family
values and all that, it got cleaned up, didn't it – and so the
nonsensical dog became more famous than Yarri.  How many did Grace
Darling save, I wondered – I looked it up, and the answer is nine.

I looked at the motels and their locations and chose one above the flood
line, where I booked in for two nights.  I sort of knew Gundagai
already, as I called in there last year while heading south to do an
inservice course for librarians, so I dived around the corner and into
the library to see when I would be able to access their local history
collection.  Sod's Law prevailed.

It was then five o'clock, the library closed at 5.30, and it was closed
the next day – my plan was to head out very early on the Wednesday, so I
said I would call in on the way back, but they told me that they were
closing on Thursday for three weeks to move into new premises.  It was
clear I was going to miss the local collections, but they filled me in
on the local museum, told me where to buy the local history, and where
to find a gallery full of historic photos, upstairs from the hardware
shop.  I went and had a beer, a shower, another beer, dinner in the
motel's restaurant (pork and praties, cooked by a chef named Paddy who
had more than a hint of Cork in his speech), and went to sleep.

peter

   _--|\    Peter Macinnis       petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
  /     \   Designer of macroscopic diffraction gratings,
  \.--._*   collector of baroque vegetables and fruits
       v    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~macinnis/index.htm