TheBanyanTree: Bellevuedate: 012106

Monique monique.ybs at verizon.net
Tue Feb 21 19:39:53 PST 2006

9:52 am. Jiffy Lube. I wait. Patiently. Or somewhat patiently. I'd wait
more patiently if I had an Internet connection and could file all those
sales taxes I've been unable to file for the past few days because the
department of revenue website has been down. Now it's up, and I have no
Internet at Jiffy Lube. And taxes are due today.

9:53 am. Should I have a donut or fruit for breakfast?

9:54 am. How many emails can I get written while I wait at Jiffy Lube
for my car to be appropriately serviced? That is the question. Of
course, if they're short emails, quite a few. If they're longer, as this
is turning out to be, not as many.

9:55 am. I am struck with the irony of it all. Isn't it ironic? If you
have to ask what, then you're obviously not in an ironic frame of mind.
You must be in an ironic frame of mind in order to understand what the
bleep I'm talking about.

9:56 am. After this, I go to the bank, and the grocery store to get some
fruit and/or donuts, but probably not donuts because they are carriers
of certain death. And then I go to work. I'd be at work now, if I hadn't
had this sudden urge to pull in at Jiffy Lube because I had a feeling it
was time.

9:57 am. This feeling that it was time has been accompanied by a
flashing red light on the dash. This is not my car, but I seem to drive
it most of the time these days. And I was right. It is time. The car is
in desperate need of an oil change and a flush.

9:58 am. This is not nearly as exciting for me as it is for you, the
unaware reader who is even now reading this with delight and
satisfaction. Aren't you?

9:58 am addendum: I may be mistaken about your thrill in reading this.

9:59 am: Time passes slowly in the waiting room of the Jiffy Lube. Like
a stream that has been dammed by overeager beavers, time is blocked and
barely trickling through.

10:00 am. That was a stupid analogy. Please forgive me.

10:00 am addendum: Have you ever been to Bellevue? No? That's okay.

10:01 am: I must sign off now. My car is not quite ready, but I have
more emails to get out while I wait.