TheBanyanTree: Useful Hawaiian Phrases

Dee dee.cee at verizon.net
Wed Feb 15 11:29:27 PST 2006

A friend is leaving for Hawaii so, in the spirit of aloha, I hunted up
some helpful Hawaiian words and phrases to make her visit more
enjoyable. It occurs to me there may be other Tree dwellers out there
who are also in the fortunate position of scoring a trip to the islands
so I will share this knowledge with you.

OKOLE MALUNA means "Bottoms up!" This can be a cheerful toast while
drinking or a commentary on scuba divers in action.

MAHALO NUI LOA means "Thank you very much." This is what you say to the
nice person delivering the drinks you will drink after saying, "Okole
Maluna!"

PAU means "Finished." This is what you mutter as, after several of the
above, you slide off the chair and crumple to the floor.

PEHEA OE means "How are you?" What they say to you in the morning when
you stagger down to the restaurant for lots of black coffee.

MAIKAI means "Fine." What you tell folks you are while drinking lots of
black coffee. You might as well learn to lie in Hawaiian, too.

LEI is a garland of flowers, leaves, feathers or shells that is draped
around the neck. It is pronounced "lay" but getting leid is not the same
as getting laid. Although it is possible that offering the former
increases the chances of receiving the latter.

SHAKA is a slang term meaning "Hang Loose." It is often accompanied by a
gesture involving one's closed fist with the pinkie and thumb jutting
out. It could refer to your attitude or simply mean, "Don't bother
wearing a bra. We're getting leid anyway."

'A'OLE PUHI PAKA MAU'UI PALEKOKI may or may not mean "Don't smoke the
grass skirts." Online translation services sometimes leave a bit to be
desired.  Which is why I have not tried to sort out the Hawaiian words
for, "May cause confusing hallucinations and result in pesky jail time."

But you understood that anyway, didn't you.

Aloha! and hugs, Dee...