TheBanyanTree: dog day afternoon

Sachet sachet at alltel.net
Wed Feb 15 09:58:49 PST 2006

Life is funny sometimes and so very ironic. Last week I was trying to
convey to a friend of mine that I wasn't fussing about her taking it easy
after knee surgery, but yet it probably sounded as if I were.

So! The very next day a perfect example of what I meant arose.

Cloud, the BRAT puppy, has discovered the fine art of digging holes.
Which wouldn't be quite so bad if we didn't live in the land of
ORANGE/RED clay. And if his fur wasn't pure blonde.
I went out to call him into the house and just about screeched when I saw
how dirty he was. His whole muzzle, chest, and front paws were solidly
covered in clay. No way was he being allowed in the house. Been there, done that with
Kessie once on accident and the kitchen floor looked like someone had bled all over it and I had
to clean the carpets. Ok, so bath time!

Kessie's fur has been feeling not-so-soft-and-silky, but it's been too
cold to bathe her outside. (this is the one time I do miss the winter
weather of FL, because I could always bath the dogs on the patio). So I
figger....let's bathe her first, because she is smart enough to know
that a wet Cloud prolly means her turn will be next. She knows the word
bath and wants no part of it, and she cleverly hides. Cloud on the other
hand, being a puppy and a bit clueless, will walk into the bathroom totally
oblivious.

I got her upstairs ok to the kids bathroom, since they have a shower
head that comes down. Stood there contemplating if I should call for
help to lift her 65 pound self. After a split second of considering that
she snaps at anyone but me who tries to lift her or mess with her paws, I shrugged
and figured I could do it. THAT was my first mistake! You would THINK
that I would know better!!!! But noooooooooo....I tend to think that I
can do anything and my wrists were fine, so I lifted and she refused to
go in the first try. Well, I should have given up then. Did I? Ha! So I
tussled with her and by golly got her stubborn self in the tub. After
that she was a perfect lady and I could bathe her. Although at that
point my left wrist felt like I had torn a tendon and my right ankle was
throbbing. Did I let that stop me? Of course not! I bathed her, because
that was my mission and nothing stops me from completing one once I
begin. Not pain and certainly not common sense!

And of course I had to add to the day by also bathing Cloud. So.

It took two days for my left wrist to stop hurting and I had to sleep in
my brace. But my right wrist held up well, which is cool since it's the
one that had surgery. So if I end up back at the orthopedist I could sit
there and explain that although foolish behavior on my part resulted in
a new injury to my left wrist, the one he fixed is fine and dandy! <g>
And then we could talk about my ankle. It's still aced. Oy.

So that's what I meant. Now it should make sense. And she should be wary
of thinking like me. Or not thinking, as the case may be. :-D

...S~