TheBanyanTree: Whittling it Down

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Thu Feb 2 10:14:27 PST 2006

It is not quite a century since women have come into their own as human
beings.  Mired in the laws and notions of men and their expectations,
women were only along for the ride for a very long time.  The space of
female energy was always there burning in their hearts, and perhaps it
was a biding of time or maybe a stroke of luck as one broke free and
others followed suit.  Still.  It took a long time and that journey
isn't quite over but I and my sisters certainly feel the free will and
self actualization to take charge of life in a way unheard of a hundred
years ago.  Progress marches on.

I was born to a poor white family forty-two years ago, not even close to
a half century unless I am referring to someone else.  The eldest of
three, the only girl and aware at an early age that I weren't like all
the other kids on the block.  Growing up is rocky for most of us and it
was no different for me.  With a father until age five, sans father
until age ten and my mother went to work full time while I did housework
and cooking after school and again with a father, this time the evil
step father.  By the time I was seventeen and my mother had had enough
abuse, enough poverty, enough misery to finally garner the courage to
leave, I was also ready to leave.  I had had enough of growing up.

A dead on quarter of a century ago, at age seventeen, I wed.   I
finished high school and then joined my young, handsome Marine in Japan
and we began a life together.  We had two children, numerous pets and
even more numerous places to call home.  Nomads by way of the
government, we were happy.  I stayed home for the most part, not
counting the odd three month job from time to time, and raised children
who understand their worth as human beings.  There was that little
matter of a brief war, mostly clean for television audiences, but we
survived it.  I had not a small break down of spirit and faith as I
feared having to explain to the then two and seven year old boys that
their father was dead.  Just a wee bit of psychosis for a few months.
We were so very happy when we were sent back to Japan which turned out
to be the final tour of duty for my husband.

Ironically, it is now thirteen years since we first landed on the
beautiful island of Okinawa.  Not a lucky number, thirteen, not a lucky
time of life.  Because although we had a great lot of fun there, it was
ruined at the very tail end by trouble, boy oh boy big damn trouble,
just as we were leaving.  Okinawa to me is the dividing line in my
life.  Before going and while there I was one person.  When I came back
I was another.  No big drum roll, no made for tv movie, no camera
enhanced turning of calender pages so that the audience understands.
Nope.  Just.  A different person, altered by life and its
circumstances.  That happens sometimes.

Eight years ago when we moved to this city, this wonderful place in our
great USA, we got jobs, bought a house and continued raising our
children as best we could in the midst of depression and anxiety.  The
human spirit having the phenomenal capacity that it does, we survived.
Sometimes I am convinced that it was 'barely survived' but when the
outcome is survival over non-survival, you take it any way it comes.  As
if there is a choice, right?  We marched on and on and on for seven
years enduring what came along, learning to cope with a life that was
altered and coming to terms with the knowledge that even if life is
never quite the same, it is still a gift and a treasure.

One year ago; one hundred of these makes a century and fifty of them
makes a half century and twenty-five of them makes a quarter century, I
began to change on levels I could not comprehend.  In order to try and
comprehend those changes, I went on a party spree but it took me about
four months to get to the all out spree part.  Before that there was a
lot of not thinking about it or trying to convince myself I didn't feel
the way I felt.  Silly rabbit....  So, I gave alcohol a try, the bar
scene got a fair workout and I dabbled in sundry not so nice activities,
all to no avail.  When I woke up hung over and regretting what had
happened, I was still changed.  I was still not the me I had promised to
be and I was not the me I was expected to be.  Not a nice picture I
made, not anything to brag about or be proud of.  Looking for a fresh
vegetable in the compost pile probably won't get you something
palatable.  And neither was I.  Palatable.

Ten days ago, twenty five years into this marriage, my husband finally
had enough.  Funny thing; it was quite innocent on my part as far as
incidences which could have caused me a lot of trouble go, but there it
was anyway.  The breaking point had been reached.  Amongst a lot of
tears and no small amount of fears, I applied for an apartment five days
ago.  I was approved three days ago with a move in date of the first of
the month.  Two days ago I began to gather things from this house, home
for nearly eight years, to take to the apartment.

Yesterday I awoke and after an appointment, began to load my van with
small furniture and what nots, the big stuff to go later.  It only took
about forty minutes but it was very difficult and surreal.  When I
arrived at the apartment, it took only about thirty minutes to unload
because I am on the ground floor and have no stairs to negotiate.
Twenty minutes to inspect the apartment for anything which I might be
charged for upon moving out if not noted on move-in day.  Ten minutes to
walk from room to room with my crap strewn all over the place, in heaps
and piles which no one but I will unheap and unpile; I realized with a
finality that I was actually doing this.  I have never lived by myself
in all this nearly half-century of life, these forty-two years I have
been blessed with.   As I re-entered my home, returning from my
apartment, it took about one second to notice the resounding echo
crashing into the room I had emptied.  It came down to this, this one
moment in time, this final measure of what not only is about to happen
but which had actually begun nearly a century ago.  It may not seem that
way to everyone but I know this is about independence and the right to
seek it.  It won't come without a price and it won't come without
collateral damage.  I can't be the girl I was twenty-five years ago any
more than the female population can go backward in time from the booming
echo I had caused, back to the closed mouth women who, so long ago,
would not have dared to pursue their heart.   I can only be who I have
become...for better or worse.

I have changed.

Maria