TheBanyanTree: A Political Rant

Monique Young monique.ybs at verizon.net
Sun Dec 31 10:44:22 PST 2006

So there I was, perched at the side of the road, waiting for AAA to come to
my rescue. Or was it AA? Could be one or the other, except I'm not known for
having a drinking problem, except for now and then when I have two drinks
instead of one (can you imagine?), but I am known for having vehicle
malfunctions.

Anyway. So there I was. It was a busy day for AAA and tow trucks in general
(here in Seattle we have an actual toe truck, but good luck getting that
particular truck to respond -- it's now a tourist attraction) since the
massive ice storm had hit town like an aircraft carrier coming in to port
after a year at sea. In other words, it took no prisoners, it swept through
town with all the testosterone fueled pent-up energy of a thousand sailors
who've had no company but each other for months (while it is true that this
does not annoy some of them at all, the majority are quite disturbed by it),
it leveled entire city blocks, leaving them desolate and bare in the
aftermath of its frenzy.

My car wouldn't start. It was either the battery or the alternator or a lack
of fuel or the engine thingy. That's the thing that's hidden under the hood
and that I take great care to disregard as I believe it to be below my
station in life, but all the same, I know it's there. It makes a sound when
the car is running, but when the car is not running there's no sound, and
that's when I panic.

Oh dear. This is going in an unintended direction.

Let's start over. I have to go think first. Or eat. Or both at the same
time.