TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 106

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Dec 31 08:48:59 PST 2006

December 31, 200006

Dear Wonders,

	It's the last day of the year.  What do I
feel about that?  Nothing much, I'm afraid.
Lordy, there is the curmudgeon in me, again.  I
just can't work up the froth about new year's
eve.  I mean it's not as if someone were making
egg nog.  Waitaminute!  It's the lack of egg nog.
I'm going out to the store today and buying egg
nog.  Now I'm ready for new year's eve!

                            ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
                               ƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒ

¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Humpty Dumpty, 1979

	Warner Jepson was approached by two women
from New York City who were writing the play and
lyrics to what they hoped would be a big smash
hit Broadway musical.  What was the story line?
Well, it was based on Humpty Dumpty, and they
were calling it, "Humpty D."  I kid you not.
Warner was a marvellous composer and agreed to
write the music.  They were all taking this very
seriously.  The musical had all the blanks filled
in: a love story between two serious contenders,
a sub plot with the comic relief brought to you
by another love struck couple.  It had tension
and release, and scenes with big crowds of the
chorus.  All this on an egg who sat on a wall.  I
wish I could remember more details of the plot
and characters, but this was in 1979, and I was
doing cocaine and bulimia at the time, so I
wasn't very good at details.

	Around about the time that Warner had
finished writing most of the major tunes, the two
women authors and Warner decided to take
themselves to New York City to try to find
backing for it.  I was invited to be the voice to
sing to the prospective backers.  Warner would
accompany me on the piano.  Naturally, I
accepted.  I could take the rehearsal tapes of my
group with me and see if I could gain entrance to
the music business.  Yes, I had a group at the
time, and they played the scores I was writing
under Warner's tutelage:  stand up bass,
percussion, bassoon, viola, oboe and myself on
guitar and voice, sometimes cello when the music
called for it.  I had no idea how I was going to
pursue anyone in the music business but that's
what I told the group before we left.  Warner
took me aside before we embarked on this journey
and he told me that we would be staying together
in a borrowed apartment at Westbeth, near the
village.  He said living in the same quarters
could pose a problem, because it brings out
things in people.  Close proximity could affect a
relationship.  I was all for forging ahead.  My
idea was that there was no closeness that
couldn't be closer and benefit by it.  Being with
Warner day and night sounded fine to me.  I was,
as usual naive, living off somewhere in a land of
illusion and some delusion.  I took no heed.

	I cannot remember the names of the women
involved in the project, but I remember their
partnership.  They were a very close and loving
lesbian couple who had been together for quite a
while, years and years, and the fact that they
could share their professional life in addition
to being a dedicated monogamous couple was
impressive to me.  I don't know what I thought
would happen to Warner Jepson and me.  I didn't
think we were going to get married, but maybe I
thought we'd be together forever and ever
somehow, in some form.  This forever and ever
theme was important for me, and came along with
every love affair I ever had.  I needed to be
convinced that this was an eternal love.  This
does not imply that I was rational about it.  In
fact, it implies the very opposite.  I expended a
good deal of energy convincing myself that some
pretty unlikely unions were big and important,
and that the man was a genius of some sort.  I
demanded that the man be a genius.  Now how
rational is that?

	With Warner, part of the silliness in
viewing us as anything permanent was the fact
that Warner was predominantly gay.  It is true
that he had been married and had two children,
but  his yen was for the young men.  He dreampt
of felatio, and every once in a while, he said he
just had to go cruising bars for a man, even if
that man would only be present in his life for
however long it took to climax.  It doesn't take
too long, has been my impression.  He was
fundamentally promiscuous, and another thing I
demanded in my relationships was monogamy.  But
the homosexual exploits and ramblings somehow
didn't count.  They came under a whole other
category, that of hobbies, perhaps, or business
trips.  I still don't know how I rationalized
that one.  This was in the days before AIDS,
thank God, or who knows what I could have
contracted.  As it was, I contracted nothing, not
even a decent lover.  Warner was pre-occupied.
And here I was, still trying to rekindle the
emotional and sexual impact of the first time he
introduced me to cocaine.  "I hope you're feeling
something, 'cause I sure am."

	When we came to New York together, I
brought my stash of cocaine disguised neatly
inside an empty toothpaste tube in my carry on.
Not that I was afraid of getting caught.  I
wasn't.  For some reason, the cocaine never
filled me with the same paranoia that was
emblematic of marijuana.  I felt perfectly in
control.  No one would be able to tell I was
under the influence.

	The women lived in Westbound, too, which
was the old Bell Laboratories.  The huge building
had been converted into live/work artists
loftiness.  There was an empty apartment, vacated
by a couple who had gone on an extended trip to
Europe, and this would be our home for a few
weeks, while Warner and the women worked on Humps
D., and I learned the music for auditions.  It
did seem that everyone living in Westbound was
gay.  In the hallways were couples of men and
couples of women, arm in arm, necking or just
carrying on.  "Honey, I'm home." Warner and I
stuck out like a sore thumb.  I imagined as we
stood waiting for the elevator that everyone else
waiting was eyeing us with great interest saying
to themselves, "I wonder how they do it?"

	Mostly, during the day, I was left alone
to my own devices while they laboured to put
Humps D. Together.  And what I did with my time
was amazing.  I was in New York City, one of the
cultural and creative centers in the world.
There were enough museums to have occupied my
time every day without repeating a museum.  And
certainly there was enough just to gawk at.  But
I chose instead to stay within the confines of
the loft, and my routine was ambitious.  In the
morning, I would go off in search of food either
in a restaurant or to cook and eat and throw up.
In the afternoon, I would do cocaine.  By the
time I was well on my way to a third dose of
Coke, a dose lasting two hours, Warner and the
women were done with their work and he could come
back to find me busily creating something: a
little artwork, a little writing, playing the
guitar, futons about the loft looking less than
important, but more than unoccupied.

	Warner was nervous during the trip, and
crotchety, although there was relief from his
moods if the work was going well.  He was showing
me just exactly how badly prolonged proximity can
damage a relationship.  He was short with me.  I
was getting on his nerves.  And why shouldn't I
have been?  It didn't appear that I was getting
out and about, or rehearsing the music in
earnest.  I was just creating brownian motion,
rattling here and there and following him around.
Of course, I didn't see it that way.  I felt
fully engaged.  My hours were cram packed with my
chosen addictions.  There wasn't a moment to
spare.  If I hadn't shopped for food to cook, at
about eleven o'clock I'd walk outside and venture
into the village to eat lunch.  I'd order a huge
salad and soup in one place, consume it and vomit
it up, then find another restaurant, not too
close by, and do pretty much the same thing.  I
paid in travellers' cheques, or by credit card.
Sometimes I could fit in three lunches before I
had to be back to the loft to stoke up on cocaine
and meet Warner after his day of efforts.
Sometimes when I was guaranteed that Warner would
be gone until a certain time, I would walk up the
street to a strange wholesale food outlet I'd
found, and I'd buy a few steaks, lots of noodles
or potatoes, huge amounts of butter.  I'd hurry
back to the loft and cook it all, have it all
spread out before me on the kitchen island and
I'd slam it all down until I couldn't hold any
more.  Then I'd rush off to the toilet and throw
it up.  Then I'd come back for more.  I had to be
a good judge of quantity at the time of purchase,
because I had to consume all the evidence before
Warner came back to the loft in the late
afternoon.  Looking back, I don't know how I
mustered the confidence in my privacy to go
through my bulimic rituals.  What if Warner had
come back while I was gorging and purging?  What
if he had come back with both the women, and just
opened the door into the scene I had organized?
But that never happened.  As far as the cocaine
was concerned, I didn't care if he walked in on
me.  Cocaine was normal.  After all, he'd
introduced me to it; how could he judge?

	Warner and the ladies made appointments
with possible backers, and on occasion we four
would sally forth to do an official presentation.
Most of the music was easy enough for me to
handle, but there was one song that was scored
too high for my range.  I told Warner, but he
didn't listen.  It was in the key it was in, and
there was nothing he was going to do to change
it.  On one trip, I simply couldn't manage the
notes.  And since they were so far out of my
range, I couldn't reach the high ones.  What I
wound up doing was wrecking the music, faltering
on those notes I couldn't get to, then recovering
when the melody dipped back down into a
manageable range.  When we got back to Westbeth,
Warner had me come over to him so he could, "show
me something".  He played back a recording he'd
made of what I'd butchered at the presentation
and stood over me sternly, said, "I just thought
you should hear this."  He frowned and shook his
big head.  I was humiliated on top of my
humiliation.  I begged him to stop the tape.  I
knew how I'd sounded.  The song was too high for
me.  I'd told him that.  Have mercy.  But he
didn't.  He insisted on playing the entire tape.

	This was a man who was soft spoken and
gentle, but other aspects of his character were
becoming apparent, as I am sure aspects of my
character were emerging.  All in all, it was not
a happy time.  Sex had disappeared from our
repertoire.  When we got into bed at night,
Warner did everything to avoid me but sleep
standing up in the corner.  He was way over on
his side of the bed, and I was smack in the
middle hoping for compromise.  It wasn't sex I
needed.  I needed the warmth of a companion,
someone to wade through this life with,  someone
dedicated to uncovering the story line,
celebrating the splendor of the world and
mourning the ugliness, someone to meet me in the
middle of the bed if not for an all night
embrace, just to breathe together.  I had no one
to breathe with, and with each day, Warner and I
grew further and further apart.  There was less
joking around, less talk, less eye contact, less
to celebrate, more to grieve for.

	The time came for us to go back to
California.  The work and presentations were
wrapped up.  There was no angel so far who was
going to sponsor the project.  Humpty D. would
just have to find someone else to put him
together, or he'd have to pull himself together.
This didn't improve Warner's mood.  We had a
reservation to return home together, but I came
down with one hell of a cold, or a flu.  I was so
clogged up that the doctor advised I not fly.  I
would have to stay on after Warner left.  He
left.  I remained, buried in fever and
congestion, coughing, doing cocaine.  How do you
do cocaine when you are all stuffed up?  How do
you get the stuff into your nose?  Well, I was
ingenious.  I got some rubber tubing, shoveled
the powder into it and inserted it into a
nostril.  Then, I put the other end in my mouth
and blew hard, projecting the dust into my
clogged nose.

	When I'd started to see the end of my
illness around the corner, I made a reservation
to leave.  I started packing.  While I was
dragging myself around the loft, folding this and
stuffing that, the women came to visit.  They sat
down opposite me with two serious expressions on
their faces.

	"You're not fooling anyone, you know," they began.  "Look at yourself."

	"What is there to look at," I answered.
"I'm miserable.  I'm sick.  Can this wait?"

	It couldn't wait.  They lectured me on
how I was destroying myself, slowly and
efficiently.  They didn't call anything by name,
but the impact was brutal all the same.  When
they left, they wished me well, but had damned me
badly.  They only wanted to help.  But I saw them
as two enemies, out to put a dent in my denial.
I didn't call it denial.  I guess I saw it as
survival.  What I was doing was trying to survive
a lunatic childhood and a catastrophic adulthood.
I was a desperate character, and they thought
that I could just remove the desperate acts
without putting anything but clean living in
their place.  I couldn't.  I just couldn't.

	When I arrived in San Francisco, Warner
met me at the airport.  He was silent.  I was
silent.  He loaded my bags into the trunk and
drove me home to my parents' house.  Then he took
my luggage out of the trunk and deposited it on
the sidewalk.  He got back in the car wordlessly,
and drove off.

	That was the end of my composition
lessons.  What remained of Warner was a cocaine
habit, and shame.  Lots of shame.  Glorious
amounts of shame.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA