TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 96

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu Dec 21 08:11:17 PST 2006

December 21, 20000000000006

Dear Crowd of Lovelies,

	I got another couple of letters via
e-mail, copies from my lawyer, of villainman's
lawyer's letters.  That was a poorly constructed
sentence.  Nevertheless, these letters were
further proof that villainman is not willing to
settle.  He's demanding ten thousand dollars here
and $350 clams there, for ridiculous things.  And
the letters make me out to be a flake and
dishonest scheming human being.  The
characterizations are so false, but they hurt me
anyway, and I cried because I felt under attack.
Well, I don't just feel under attack, I AM under
attack.  I wonder if this whole process will ever
be over, or if villainman will continue to take
pot shots at me forever.  Why?  Doesn't he have
anything better to do than have his lawyer write
five hundred dollar letters to collect three
hundred fifty dollar complaints?  My lawyer
protects me and my honour from these attacks, but
they still hurt.  So I walk around hurt all day.
It takes its toll.  The sun is not up yet, and
I'm already whining about the divorce.  Not a
good sign.  Let me wipe the slate clean with one
sweeping gesture and start over again.
(Whoooosh, sound of chalk dust hitting the
floor).   There.  Better.

                          þþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþ
                           ½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½

Picnic at the Zoo

	We took the twins to the Oakland Zoo.
They were old enough to toddle around, but
weren't out of diapers yet.  This is why I
carried a bag the size of a suitcase with me.  It
had pockets for bottles, zippered compartments
for diapers, plastic sealed bags for dirty
diapers, room for wipes, ointment, a changing
blanket, a change of clothes for two little two
and a half year olds, emergency medications,
first aid.  It was a travelling nursery.  In
addition, we'd brought lunch for the twins and
for the grown ups.  My parents came along for the
leisurely trip to the zoo.

	The Oakland Zoo has, within it, a baby
zoo.  There are pygmy goats, baby llamas,
slowpoke tortoises, young elephants, baby farm
animals, clusters of ducks, swans, geese,
chickens and roosters.  There are young monkeys
hooting in their trees, and seals swimming in
their own huge tank.  There are lethargic
crocodiles sunning themselves, immobile in their
cordonned off fake river.

	More than a decade before this outing,
I'd known a young woman, about my brother's age,
whose name was Kristen Lauterbach.  Kristen was
an amazon of a woman, tall sturdy, curvaceous,
able to hoist hundred pound sacks of sardines.
And that is what she did at her job as a worker
in the baby petting zoo.  She got to know all the
animals on an intimate basis, and told me that
she wasn't afraid of any of them, even the lions
and tigers.  The only ones that frightened her
were the monkeys.  The monkeys, she said, had
spite, anger, vengefulness, and viciousness to
recommend them.  They were little ids, running
amok.  When they bit, they bit to injure, and
they bit for emotional reasons: jealousy, anger,
greed, paranoia, not just if they felt physically
threatened.  They bit to maim, to infect.  They'd
bite and shake the victim to tear a good hole in
him.  The only way to deal with the monkeys, she
told me, was to punch them in the face.  Okay, so
working in the baby petting zoo was not my kind
of job.  I'm better off punching pieces of blank
paper with a pen.

	Now, here I was  with my mother and
father, my husband and my two twins, Feyna and
Meyshe, walking the grounds of the Oakland Zoo.
In the petting zoo, the pygmy goats stole all the
pellets of food from the twins.  They nosed in
and nibbled the ball bearing sized feed right out
of the ice cream cone holders.  This delighted
the twins.  They would drop the feed and run to
me, grabbing my legs and squealing, then ask me
to buy them another cone full.

	When they started getting cranky, I knew
it was time for lunch.  We walked out to the main
path that ran along the edge of a green field
spotted with large shade trees.  There were
picnic tables scattered among them.  We chose a
table close to the path, put our things down and
gave them a lunch of sardines, fruit and a
vegetable/fruit puree that I made from scratch
and put in their bottles:  mashed beets, banana
squash, apples, powdered milk, protein powder and
water.  The concoction was a bright magenta and
attracted a lot of hummingbirds.  While they were
sucking on their bottles, I spread out the
blanket on the ground near the table and prepared
to change their diapers.  One after the other.

	My parents sat at the table snacking on
their own packed lunches.  Feyna was first.  When
I'd cleaned her up and finished, I set her on her
feet and released her, leaving David in charge
while I changed Meyshe.  I'd gotten Meyshe down
to the nude stage when I saw Feyna toddle off
towards my father who picked her up and put her
in his lap.

	I went crazy.

	I looked to David to take her away from
my father, but he was attending to some big
distracting thought that physicists think, and
wasn't even watching.  I rose up, not knowing
really what I was doing, nor why I felt this
urgency, this sudden panic.  I ran over to my
father, grabbed Feyna and pulled her out of his
lap so fast he didn't have a chance to blink.  I
felt like I was rescuing her.  And I was.  This
was for all the abuse I'd suffered, for the years
of filthy magazines stuffed between my bed
sheets, for the leers and dirty jokes, for
bumping into me by accident so many times in the
hallway, for all his vileness, for the ogling,
for the smacking of his lips and rubbing together
of his hands.  I could have lifted the picnic
table, the adrenalin was gushing through me at
such a pitch.  My mother stared at the scene.  My
father looked crotchety and disgruntled.  I
hugged Feyna and kept her with me far away from
my father.  When David woke up from his reverie,
I instructed him to finish changing Meyshe.
David had been under orders to keep my father
away from Feyna, but he missed his cue.

	We packed up and drove home.  Meyshe and
Feyna fell asleep in their car seats during the
ride, and when we got in, we tiptoed into their
room and placed them carefully in their cribs,
walked out and closed the door quietly.  Nap
time.  The hour or two in which mothers get to
take a breath and prepare for the onslaught of
the rest of the day.

	I found my father lurking outside the
nursery.  Another surge of adrenalin hit my
bloodstream.  I stood in his face and told him
this:

	"I am grown now, and I have children of
my own.  No matter what excuses you want to give,
I am not here to debate this issue.  That's
insanity.  Just know that I know that we both
know what you did to me when I was growing up.
We know what you are.  So, if you ever get near
my children, if you even look at them funny, if
you try to get them under your influence, if you
so much as hint at laying a single finger on
either of them, I swear to God, I'll kill you.  I
don't mean that figuratively.  You are being
warned."

	I went back into the nursery and left him
there without waiting for an answer or an
argument.  His silence was his assent.

	That day at the picnic table, I turned
myself inside out.  Some instinctive protective
fury came over me, and I realized that I was
fully capable of patricide, just given the
circumstances, and the inspiration.  I was not
fully conscious of what I was doing.  It was
biological, primitive and primal.  I could feel
my blood popping in my veins.  When I'd grabbed
Feyna away from him, I hurried her away and
cried.  I cried as if I'd rescued her from
machine gun fire.  I was shaking all over.  It
had taken me until that day, that moment, to pull
the pieces together of what happened to me.  I'd
never allowed myself to focus on it.  I kept
debating with myself about what I'd actually seen
and experienced.  After all, my mother put doubts
in me that what I'd perceived was not what I'd
perceived.  And the poison my father had injected
into me had clouded my vision.  I saw double, in
fact: one real eye and one false eye.  I called
myself a liar rather than face what had happened
to me.  How could I bear the anger towards my
mother for looking the other way, for staying
with the crazy man?  For disappointing me.  For
leaving me unprotected so that he could do with
me whatever he wanted.

	After my speech to him that day, he never
went near my children.  He never said a word.  He
just receded into a sullen shell, and I kept him
there with an occasional glance of admonition.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net